Plum trees not flowering at same time

Reaction score
Country
Australia
In Jimboomba QLD , I have 2 plum trees, one red & one gold, and the gold is fully flowered and the red still dormant. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to get flowering at same time again? They are well established trees (7 Yr) and only last year/ this year seem out of sequence. Previously had lots of plums on both. They are about 3 mts apart in the orchard. What am I missing? WIll they cross pollinate with other trees as the cherry and plum are also in flower?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
To flower at the same time is dependent on the chill hours the trees received. It appears that the gold has a lower chilling hour requirement than does the red. Perhaps you had chilling hours earlier last year than this year? Fruits do not cross-pollinate with other species but most plums need another plum to be fertile. Is the red showing any bud swell on the limbs?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have one apricot, 2 almonds and 1 European plum in flower and loquats that should have been ripe 2.5 months ago now just setting fruit, normally be a little burnt from the cold/frosts instead looking like our biggest fruit set ever, getting almost bloody tropical down here. So what can you do? Nothing and I wouldn't worry about cross pollination most likely other compatible fruits near by and if not buy some extra pollinators next season.

Ask a Question