Question about plum trees

Reaction score
A few years ago, I bought two semi-dwarf plum trees. I planted them in my backyard that is full sunlight. In the first year, both trees did very good. They were growing. They had flowers, and they started growing fruit. The fruit was still small, but it looked very promising for a good harvest in a few years. Then of course, one tree dies.

It has been a year since the second tree died. The other tree is still living. It is taller, has lots of leaves but no flowers. I know this variety of plum tree needs a cross-pollinator to produce fruit. My question is this. Will the tree produce fruit when I get a new plum tree? I am afraid that it won't since it has been a year. I am thinking that the fruit is laying dormant or something along those lines. Does anyone know? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A few years ago, I bought two semi-dwarf plum trees. I planted them in my backyard that is full sunlight. In the first year, both trees did very good. They were growing. They had flowers, and they started growing fruit. The fruit was still small, but it looked very promising for a good harvest in a few years. Then of course, one tree dies.

It has been a year since the second tree died. The other tree is still living. It is taller, has lots of leaves but no flowers. I know this variety of plum tree needs a cross-pollinator to produce fruit. My question is this. Will the tree produce fruit when I get a new plum tree? I am afraid that it won't since it has been a year. I am thinking that the fruit is laying dormant or something along those lines. Does anyone know? Thanks
Yes, it will produce again but it will probably be 2 years before a full crop. It should produce some the first year if the new tree has a good bloom set and that includes both trees

Reaction score
In my opinion, you should get another plum tree and plant it close by. The new one might die, because when planting a bunch of trees together, some do end up dying. However, by planting that new tree, you will give the tree that you had from before a cross-pollinator. Also, if your neighbor has another tree, then you may be able to get lucky. Bees and other pollinators can carry pollen for miles, so you can get lucky and get a few plums.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, you should plant a new tree, but, DO NOT PLANT A NEW TREE IN THE SAME POSITION AS THE ONE THAT DIED!

This is because many plants are susceptible to what is called, "Specific Replant Disease".
This is not a disease in itself, but is caused by plants which, over time, attract toxins in the soil which, although they can deal with them, as they are well established, leave the soil "poisoned" for a new sapling.

Plant it in a new spot, not too far from your other tree.

Reaction score
Yes, it would be good to know what led to the demise of the one that died, if it was a soil based problem then the other one might be at risk. As headfullofbees mentioned, don't plant the new one near the one that died. It will still get pollinated, insects do fly from plant to plant.

Reaction score
Some trees only bloom every other year unless they are thinned heavily, so that might be why you didn't get any flowers this year. It is called "biennial bearing".

I used to have a Golden Delicious apple tree that did this, but it was such a big tree that I decided it would be too hard to thin it every spring. It would have taken hours and needed the big ladder to be taken out and re-positioned every so often, and so I decided to accept biennial bearing.

If your plum tree has taken a longer vacation than just one year, you might try something that I have heard of but have never done. Bend a branch down and tie it down!

This encourage sugar to build up on the underside of the bent branch, which can stimulate flowering the next spring. Once the tree starts flowering again it generally will continue to do so, either every year or every other year if it is a biennial bearing tree.

Biennial bearing is talked about here: http://umaine.edu/fruit/growing-fruit-trees-in-maine/lack-of-fruitfulness/ Look at the third paragraph down.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am so encouraged by the information. Thank you headfullofbees for that information. I would have planted the new tree in the same spot. I did not know that could happen! I will plant the new tree on the other side.

I believe the first tree died because it was weak. I did not see any kind of bugs or fungus. I didn't see any thing out of the ordinary, I guess you can say. I am not too sure about the soil.

Now, I am super excited. I need to get another tree!

Ask a Question