Multiple stems growing from the same base stem on mango seed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've gotten into gardening about 2 months ago, and I decided to grow a few mango trees. They are all good and healthy but I have a slight problem. While making a video for my youtube channel, 2 of my mango plants grew more than 1 stem which I understand is a polyembryonic plant, but the problem is all the stems are attached to 1 big base stem on the seed, so I can't plant them separately. It may not be a problem right now, but when they start getting a bigger base and turning into a little tree, they're going to be in each others way, so please tell me if you know what I should do and whether or not there's a way to seperate them. I will leave a photo for yous to look at

Many thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220329-155451_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220329-155451_Video Player.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Select the strongest stem and prune off all the others. If any grow back, prune them off again.

You won't be able to untangle the separate embryos, but you could possibly re-root the cut stems.
This might not be worth it. Usually only cultivars of exceptional quality are vegetatively propagated.

Ask a Question