Fern? Its (not sure the scientific word) stems remind me of a fern!

Reaction score
Country
United States
“Stems” in first picture I know they aren’t stems but don’t know how else to call it! . Very beautiful and interesting! Definitely a new fav of mine!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, indeed, this the Heart-leaved Fern native to India, southern China, southeast Asia, Sri Lanka, Hainan, Taiwan, Philippines and other islands. It does serve very well as an attractive and unsuual houseplant. Its scientific name is Hemionitis cordata, or it may be segregated into its own monotypic genus as Mickelopteris cordata.

Furthermore in the horticultural trade it is usually incorrectly referred to as Hemionitis arifolia, which is a synonymous name for a very unlike fern, Acrostichum aureum.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Overall, basic houseplant care will work. Bright indirect light. Regular watering with moderately good drainage. Fertilize occasionally.
Of course, make fine adjustments to this as you get feedback from the plant's condition.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks one more fern for you!! Maybe 2 the second picture I think is a button fern, pellaea rotundifolia? Am I correct?? First one in not sure!!! I just thought I would add it to this fern post

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Country
United States
The first three shots are Lemon Button Fern (Nephrolepis cordifolia 'Duffii'), and the last two shots are New Zealand Button Fern (Pellaea rotundifolia). Though they are both have the word 'button' in their common name, they are not particularly closely related.

By the way, in answer to your question in the title, the usual word for the stem of a leaf is 'petiole'. However among more avid pteridologists, the term 'stipe' is also used, usually in contrast to the term 'rachis' for the continuation of the central vein within the leaf blade. Either term: 'petiole' or 'stipe' would be considered correct. Hmm, I'll try to post an illustration, just to be clear.

fernparts-e1501614982845.png

Ask a Question