Multiple Questions -Mangos, Apples

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have allot of questions, so recently i've been germinating a mango tree see. It's been germinating for about 3 days and I has grows a root and 1 inch or half a inch long. I planted it yesterday and i'm very eager to dig it up and see how its doing but I dont want to kill it. I'm germinating another mango seedling longer.

-I live in southern California

QUESTION #1
I just started put unwanted mango and banana peels in the pot that I have the rooted mango seed in, I put some fertilizer and dirt over the peels. I think that's called layering? correct me if i'm wrong but will this be good for my mango?, Should it be getting all the decomposed nutrients from the peels or will it have trouble sprouting out of the dirt because the peels are in the way?

QUESTION #2
I've put my mango seedling outside along with apple seeds i've just planted, they are in full sun, is that good for them or should I leave it in my house? Will this stunt the growth or kill it? I've herd that you should leave seedlings inside until they sprout but I felt like they should atleast get some sun. in California its about 100-80 degrees in the daytime and 60 at night.

QUESTION #3
Does it matter if you overwater a plant if it has proper drainage? Like I could pour like 50 ounces of water into a pot and it pours out of the hole, would the plant still be able to get oxygen?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
#1 You don't fertilize seedlings until they get some leaves. They get all the nutrients they need from the seed itself
#2 You should not leave you mango seedling in direct all day sun. Morning sun is great but on a tiny seedling hot afternoon sun is not. Dappled sun would be better in the afternoon. Seeds do not need sun to sprout especially apples. You just can't take seeds from an apple, stick it in soil and have it germinate. They must be stratified. I think you are in the wrong place to grow apples anyway.
#3 You cannot over water a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Mango is a tropical tree so I'm not sure if it can survive in California climate. I would suggest that you plant the mango seedling in a soft plastic pot with soil. From what I know, seedlings may die when given excessive fertilizer. That seedling would love the sun but be sure to monitor the leaves for too much heat may make the young leaves wither. Take not of the mango's leaves that are tender when young although they become sturdy as they mature.

Ask a Question