What's the quickest way to fertilize multiple plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have 28 plants in ground and relatively close together. Typically the way I fertilize plants is I place about a tablespoon of fertilizer in a ring around the plant, under the leaves and away from the stem to prevent burning. The thing is this takes too much time and I want to add more plants. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's probably about the same number of veggie plants I have each summer....

I buy (sorry can't recall brand name) an organic dry "compost tea" that can either be applied as you describe, or mixed with water. I mix it in a large watering can, use the spout end rather than the sprinkle end and pour around the base of each plant. I mix it fairly strong and follow up with a soaking. Definitely quicker than applying to each plant, especially when they're big and bushy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is very easy. Just don't use chemical fertilizers. It is just about impossible to over fertilize with organics and they will not burn your plants. All you have to do is just broadcast the pellets and water it in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You can get soaker hoses. Run them the length you need. Mix fertilizer into a batch, in a like a 55 gallon drum, turn the spigot to fertilize! That'd be one way, only issue is the ones at the start of the line may get more than the ones at the end.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
You could use a long term slow release fertilizer like Osmacote. I use it on my roses since we have over 30 bushes and running around with a watering can of fertilizer water gets pretty tiring.
A slow release fertilizer will last from two to three months, or longer. Instructions on the container are pretty explicit and if followed, do well with flowers, and I suppose also with vegetable plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If you don't have time, why do you want more plants?
If you grow Bocking 14 comfrey alongside your plants, you can just chop it down, to two inches from the ground, 4 times a year, and that will fertilise your plants.
It has 15 of 18 necessary and beneficial nutrients and 4 times the level of top tomato feeds.

Ask a Question