Multiple zucchini per transplant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought three zucchini transplants at a local nursery, and it seems like they've planted 2-3 per pot. I'm very surprised, because I would think they would crowd each other out. I'm worried about trying to separate them, because of damage I might cause to the root systems. Currently my plan is to grow each group in a 7-gallon (or more) container.

Will this work out as it is? Should I cut them down to have only one plant per pot? Or should I try to separate the roots? Let me know if I can provide more info

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Depending on how big the pot is, and how big the zucchini are, the odds of having three plants survive are pretty good. If it is the usual 4" or quart nursery pot, and if the zucchini aren't beginning to vine and are still bushy, I'd think you could separate them.
When I get multiples in a pot, I soak the pot thoroughly so that water is standing on the surface, have the spot ready to receive the plant, and then very, very carefully start to pull them apart, one at a time. There will be some root loss, but the plant can make that up pretty quickly. Zucchini is a sturdy plant, and you'll most likely end up with more squash than you can get rid of (I've found dipping it in chocolate and offering it to children is a great way to get rid of excess zucchini!;))

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The smaller they are, the easier they'll be to separate.
I'd expect a decent success rate.
Give the pots a real good soaking, as said previously, before you attempt it.

Ask a Question