Re-designing our garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The landscaping of garden is more than 20 years old and some concrete have already worn out. The center of our garden is concrete like a playground and the sides have the soil covering less than one meter from the fence. So it's like the square concrete is circled by grass and plants. Now, we are thinking of removing the concrete and putting soil again to make it a lawn.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Seems like removing the concrete would be a lot of work. I wonder if you could lay soil over the concrete slab and grow grass? There used to be a house, demolished I don't know when, next to mine. I own that lot as well. Anyway the remains of the driveway and foundation are under the lawn but you can't tell...we only found out when digging post holes for the fence. There's maybe six inches of soil and grass roots over the old concrete.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like a lovely plan Corzhens! (y) What shape is your current garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think you have the right idea by removing concrete if you want to turn it into a garden area. You could use those concrete pieces as border as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea it's a good idea @Corzhens. It sounds like you have some garden space surrounding a centerpiece that is the concrete, but you really would like to have more grass and some flowers instead of the hard surface structure. I hope it doesn't require a lot of workmanship to dig up the concrete and I'm sure the soil and grass will catch up pretty quickly to even out that natural looking lawn. If you were interested in a border I would recommend going for nice colored bricks, like the red ones, depending on budget. It's hard for me to imagine the broken up concrete blending into a nice lawn scene, unless you're really going to get creative with placing those pieces.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Yea it's a good idea @Corzhens. It sounds like you have some garden space surrounding a centerpiece that is the concrete, but you really would like to have more grass and some flowers instead of the hard surface structure. I hope it doesn't require a lot of workmanship to dig up the concrete and I'm sure the soil and grass will catch up pretty quickly to even out that natural looking lawn. If you were interested in a border I would recommend going for nice colored bricks, like the red ones, depending on budget. It's hard for me to imagine the broken up concrete blending into a nice lawn scene, unless you're really going to get creative with placing those pieces.

That's our main concern - the remodeling of our garden requires a lot of work hence it also requires budget that means money. That nice colored bricks you said would be great for a border. That surely would enhance the look of our planned garden. We are still on the planning stage because it is nearing Christmas so money will be tight.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Corzhens Well you continue to keep us posted. It would be very nice to see how your ideas come together and eventually work out. Call it a 'Work in Progress' if you will. As you start to get your hands dirty I'm sure it will all come together with some fresh ideas too. Let us know some of the flowers you're putting in too. All the best on that project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@Corzhens Well you continue to keep us posted. It would be very nice to see how your ideas come together and eventually work out. Call it a 'Work in Progress' if you will. As you start to get your hands dirty I'm sure it will all come together with some fresh ideas too. Let us know some of the flowers you're putting in too. All the best on that project.

I am right now asking some ideas from my niece who is an artistic person. Aside from the budget, we are also concerned in hiring the right contractor because you see, there are so many fake garden designers here. Their work is easily ruined by the elements. Yes, I will be posting whatever happens to our plan for our garden in the front yard. I am hoping that we can start work before Christmas but that's wishing already. It is a busy month for everyone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds like a wonderful idea, Corzhens. I'm sure a lawn will look much prettier than concrete. Living, green plants are the prettiest:)
Please, keep us posted.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Removing the concrete sounds like a major job but would give you more green space I think. A picture of the current garden would help to get a better idea of what could be suggested for designs ideas.

Reaction score
It would be nice if you can share to us the picture of your garden so that we can give the right suggestions that you are asking from us?....:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Removing the concrete sounds like a major job but would give you more green space I think. A picture of the current garden would help to get a better idea of what could be suggested for designs ideas.

I already had posted this pic in another thread (but I seem not to find it, hahahaaah). But anyway, it is a major job according to one engineer we consulted because the concrete cannot be removed just like that. Care should be exercised so as not to inflict damage on the nearby concret. Anyway, here is the photo of our concrete garden....
IMG_6749.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I already had posted this pic in another thread (but I seem not to find it, hahahaaah). But anyway, it is a major job according to one engineer we consulted because the concrete cannot be removed just like that. Care should be exercised so as not to inflict damage on the nearby concret. Anyway, here is the photo of our concrete garden.... View attachment 9898

Sounds like they know what they're talking about, although I'm sorry to hear it could be difficult to do :(

Ask a Question