planning and designing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
-10F-0F
Country
United States
How do you guys plan/design your garden. I am wanting to plan my garden out and get a month to month outline going so I am prepared in the springs time. I want to know where, and how I am going to plant all the plants, veggies, and herbs that I decide on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I laid mine out with the rows situated north and south. I plant the shortest plants on the eastern side working toward the west with the taller plants and plants that are staked and on a trellis. It helps a little by keeping some of the hot summer sun off of some of the plants. Not knowing where you live this might be an advantage but if you live in the northern states probably not so much. The main thing is to not have your plants too close together. It is better to have them too far apart than too close

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
-10F-0F
Country
United States
I laid mine out with the rows situated north and south. I plant the shortest plants on the eastern side working toward the west with the taller plants and plants that are staked and on a trellis. It helps a little by keeping some of the hot summer sun off of some of the plants. Not knowing where you live this might be an advantage but if you live in the northern states probably not so much. The main thing is to not have your plants too close together. It is better to have them too far apart than too close
Thank you I am new to gardening and I already have a list of stuff I want to plant :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's a good one @Chuck not to plant them too close together. I like to out the really bushy ones and the runners more to the back in corners because they tend to take over everything really quickly. The ones I would use often I keep those closer to the front, like small herbs I would just go outside to snip a little bit off. Be careful of the sunshine factor also as some plants do better in shaded areas than others.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I design my gardens like I would decorate a room, paying attention to form, color, size, width, when they bloom and who will bloom next the them. As far as veggies, don't do veggies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Honestly, I had made some enhancements to the garden when we acquired this property 15 years ago. But the improvements are very minor like repairs on broken concrete and replanting flower plants. But now we are making a grand plan of removing the center concrete in the front yard and make it into a lawn. At the same time, we want the sides to have planter boxes or landscaping. A big expense that's why we are still making plans carefully.

Ask a Question