Question about my new Natchez Crape Myrtle

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know if there's any direct answer to this question. But here goes. I just had a White Natchez Crape Myrtle planted in my front yard. It was planted out of a 25 gallon container. This tree is already, at least, 10 feet tall in the ground. This is exactly what I wanted, something big to start with!

But some people have said that new Crapes take several years to see their bloom potential. In other words, even though the Natchez (like the Muskogee) is supposed to be one of the longest (potential) summertime bloomers, it make take a while to see that. I have read that a Natchez can potentially bloom from June to September.

But is it likely I will have to wait several years to see that potential? Am I only likely to see a month or two starting out? Or given the fact that I bought a larger crape, would I see the longer bloom time right away? Either way, I am looking forward to the Spring when I can see it leaf out.

I remember buying a smaller gallon size Red Dynamite Crape Myrtle back in 2009 (at my former home) and it only bloomed for about 1 month in August. A disappointment for sure! But when it was planted, it was probably only half the size of my Natchez Crape Myrtle; and I sold the home where I had the Red Dynamite a few years later.

Thanks for any feedback here on my new Natchez Crape Myrtle. I live in NC and (in a general way), Crapes seem to thrive here, being part of the south.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Below is a picture of my Natchez Crape Myrtle (in the forefront) of the picture.

Attachments

• Crape Myrtle.jpg
    Crape Myrtle.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
Country
United States
A larger tree, with more branches and an established root system, will likely produce more flowers overall. Some of this extra floral abundance will not only create a more colourful show, but also a somewhat longer one. However, this is the typical, gradual process of growth and establishment common to most plants. Your crepe-myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica 'Natchez') is not likely to be notably exceptional in this regard. Actually, most crepe-myrtle still put on a quite colourful display even at smaller size and while still in containers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Addendum: The correct name for the Natchez Crepe-myrtle is Lagerstroemia x 'Natchez' as it is a hybrid between the widespread L. indica and L. subcostata var. fauriei (or L. fauriei), a more cold-hardy and powdery mildew-resistant species native to certain islands in Japan. Lagerstroemia subcostata var. fauriei also has smoother, more ornamental bark and often passes this trait onto its progeny as well.

Ask a Question