Grow Light question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I live in Metro Detroit, Michigan and have a very brown thumb. Winter is coming on, and this will be the first time I bring a coleus in from the cold to try to keep is alive thru the winter. Senior on a fixed income here, so I'm trying to keep costs down. I have a floor lamp in which I can put a bulb and plug into a timer. Will this lamp work?
Does it have enough wattage to grow some herbs alongside the coleus? Alternative suggestions welcome. Many thanks for your help. PW

Reaction score
Country
United States
You will need a light meter if you want to experiment with artificial light gardening. I would estimate at least 3000 lumen striking your Coleus leaves for good growth, but double-check that and play around to find what works for you. One bulb such as that, would need to be fairly close to the plants in question, so it won't work alone for more than a few plants.

Enjoying plants indoors in Winter is a reward in itself, but I'm not certain if artificial lighting will save money over growing new Coleus in the Spring. Do you have no window space to set the Coleus?

Ask a Question