Growing tomatoes under artificial lighting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I have a close family friend who loves tomatoes, so I would love to grow some Micro Tom tomatoes indoors under artificial lighting so as to have a constant supply to give her. Anyone have experience growing tomatoes indoors long term? I did start some common cherry tomatoes indoors, and one reached 2 feet in my window (with a supplemental lamp) and even bloomed and started some cherry tomatoes, but I have never grown one entirely with artificial lighting (the aforementioned seedlings went outdoors). I was expecting to use a PAR 38 bulb (like this; https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-NIGHTHA...rm-White-Dimmable-Flood-Light-Bulb/1000445391) on the tomato to focus the light as much as possible on it. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I once tried growing tomatoes in pots inside my house - it was a really bright house. Anyway, the plant got huge and very green, but I never grew fruit! Go figure!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Pay attention to the range on temps. You will have to manually pollenate. It won't be near the energy of the sun so everything will be somewhat slower, and you will leave lights on for a long time, like 16 hours minimum, even 24.

Last edited:

Ask a Question