Growing G onions from scraps

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi' i really want to learn to grow vegtebals from leftovers{onions,garlic,lettuce,caarrots,bets and so on..}
At the momnet im trying to grow green onions from the leftoer bottoms and having a reallt hard time. ive tried in a pot and in water and in both situations they very quicly starting to rot even if im changing thw water twice a day.
If anyone here has exp and tips ill really appreciate it, thank you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would be a better idea to collect free seeds from your veggies and sow those.

Reaction score
Country
Israel
i really ant to do it from scraps.. its not about what will be more benficial its importwnt to me to do it this way..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Durgan replied, "DUH!" because we've been through this many, many times, to the point where it is becoming tiresome.
I don't wish to offend you, & welcome you to the forum, but it's not a great idea.
It is the case, however, that some green onions are perennial, and if you plant a bunch bought at the supermarket, they may bunch & you can cut down the greens at will & they'll grow back.
Like chives only stronger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@helptoall - generally planting scraps from the grocery store won't grow back into food as you recognize it.
  • Carrots, beets, and many onions are biannuals meaning they start from seed and form the big tuberish root the first season. Then they overwinter and sprout the next spring using the energy stored in the root. In this second summer season the plants rush to make flowers and set seeds. Once the seeds are set the plant dies. If you start either of these from the scrap tops you will (may) get roots and leafs but then it will set a flower to make seeds.
  • Celery is triggered to make seeds when it drops much below a certain temperature (think "if it is stored in a refrigerator")
  • Garlic from the grocery store is hit or miss depending on where you are and what the source of the garlic is.
  • Potatoes will grow from eyes on the tuber but commercial potatoes are often desieased and won't grow well without much chemical intervention. You're better off buying certified clean seed potatoes.
  • Sweet potatoes can be started - I'm trying this now - will report back in about 11 months as to how it goes.

Ask a Question