my onions from scrap are growing, but not sure what to do with them?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I am growing my onions in a small container. Looks like I have about 3 or 4 leaves sproting fromt he onion (about 4 to 5 inches tall now)

Question is, what do I do? Just keep letting it grow indoors by the window? do I need to separate them by where the leaves are growing from?

i would say it looks like this, but in a container with soil.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Et4lGgjUMfY/maxresdefault.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Looks sturdy. Might just have to give it a go see what happens.

Never tried to grow one from scrap, next time I buy an onion will have to give that a try,

Reaction score
Country
United States
ya definitely grow pretty easy just dont know what to do with them now. not sure to split them or just let them keep growing

going to post pictures when I get home. I have about 4 onions im growing from scrap onions and also iceberg lettuce is doing super well. fast grower! just have them all in a window sill.

from what I am reading, I have about 10 plants in total but nervous about cutting them and splitting them...I guess I might have to experiment lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I suspect from the lack of comments no one else has been down this road. Just going to have to do a bit of trial and error and lets see the results.

Reaction score
Country
United States
im going to do it probably tomorrow. going to cut one of them and see what happens. If done right, I should have about 10 onion plants in total.

One of them has leaves already 2 feet tall, so I need to move it to a bigger bucket. Wish me luck!! ill post some updates and pictures soon! Also going to add some nitrogen as well since ive heard onions require a lot of nitrogen

Ask a Question