8 August 2017 Vidalia Onions Harvested

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/August%202017/8%20August%202017%20Vidalia%20Onions%20Harvested/HTML/ 8 August 2017 Vidalia Onions Harvested

Fourteen pounds of Vidalia Onions were harvested and laid out to dry to extend storage life. This onion has no bite and makes an excellent sandwich onion, but the storage life is not particularly long.
8%20august%202017%20onions%20016_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've tried to grow yellow sweet spanish onions before, but they either died very quickly as sprouts or didn't grow when I planted them in the ground. Onions are one of the only plants I have never been able to grow successfully. Do you have any tips on how to grow onions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Post some photos of you soil? What you say is almost impossible. Onions grow easily.

The most simple is plant small , cooking and/or Spanish onions. Plant early they can take some cold.

Some of the exotic onions can be difficult like Walla Walla and Vidalia. But soft, drained soil and hand remove weeds and a bit of mulch they should thrive if viable seed is used. I usually plant the green plants or bulb, since onion seed often is difficult to germinate-meaning lousy seed from the supplier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
pH is your most likely problem, imv.
I would bet your soil is too acidic.
I ALWAYS start from seed now, to avoid disease.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
image.jpeg
This is the type of soil that I start my onions in. It currently is very dry, but it obviously isn't this dry when I plant my onions. It has fertilizer in it and works great with other plants, so I think that the seeds I used were bad seeds. Only one onion out of 12 germinated when I planted them in the spring.

Ask a Question