Winter rye questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my garden is getting a redo.
The current soil is lacking per soil sample and PH has dropped. As im repairing the garden , tilled everything , added lime and some nutrients.
I then planted winter rye is doing well, my question is
Is mowing winter rye a good thing to do. Will is help it grow more?
I was thinking of giving it a mow with mower set on high ( aprox 5”) or does winter rye like to grow tall.
Its going to all be tilled in next spring along with new soil samples.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mowing Winter Rye (Secale cereale) can delay flowering, so some growers do mow their rye if it is going to flower and fruit before they are ready to turn it under. Other growers don't do this. Even winter rye that goes to seed will still be beneficial as a cover crop, though less so in absolute terms than one that is turned in green. Some growers like to collect seed for future cover crops so that is something to consider also.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Under the experience that mowing encourages growth in some cases, yes I mow winter rye crops...but set the mower on the highest setting and don't mow when extreme temps are expected. Those clippings are some of the best soil amendments that exist.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Under the experience that mowing encourages growth in some cases, yes I mow winter rye crops...but set the mower on the highest setting and don't mow when extreme temps are expected. Those clippings are some of the best soil amendments that exist.
This was what I was thinking. Plus it gives me a chance to shred all the leaves that came down in last weeks storm

Ask a Question