Purple Shamrock

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I never heard of a purple shamrock. I have seen some purple mixed in with clove, but a purple shamrock sounds like something new and unique. It sounds like something that might be helpful for all in question to use and to have. I think I would like a purple shamrock.
It's a wonderful plant:) I love it very much. It's unique, beautiful and very easy to grow. I posted many photos of my plant, so you can see how it changed over time. It's getting bigger every day:) I water it twice a week and feed it twice a month, it doesn't need anything else.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
claudine, and Esther Knapicius, I am so glad I opened this thread!! :love: :love: You both have beautiful plants. Now I want one!!

The deeper two-toned purple leaves around the bottom of the plant... are those the older leaves? Do the ones at the top turn that color eventually?

DeborahJane, I'll probably have to order them online as seeds, I've never seen that in a store. How did your seeds do? Any tricks or tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Never seen them sold in seed, they are little tiny corns.. Its best to find the plant somewhere, they multiply well, easy. And if you live in zone 7 they can be placed in your garden. I got part of a plant from a friend. She had a plant. If you lived closer I would give you a hunk.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Now its outside since mid May, and will remain until end of October. Getting rained on or whatever Mother Nature does.
100_7254.JPG

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Never seen them sold in seed, they are little tiny corns.. Its best to find the plant somewhere, they multiply well, easy. And if you live in zone 7 they can be placed in your garden. I got part of a plant from a friend. She had a plant. If you lived closer I would give you a hunk.
I must have misunderstood her post, then. I re-read it, and when she said "plant and seeds," I thought she meant both of the same plant.

And don't tempt me with promises of plants, Esther Knapicius, I have family in PA!!
Hmm... (planning...plotting...) I haven't been to a family reunion in a couple years...It might just be time for a road trip! :LOL:

Ah, Purple Shamrock... I'll get you yet, my little pretty!! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@MaryMary , you'd be welcome. And I have lots of other gardening plants that need thinning for giving away. Hardy Geraniums, and hostas. I live in Southern Chester County, PA. between Lancaster and West Chester (the best known places in that area)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@MaryMary , you'd be welcome. And I have lots of other gardening plants that need thinning for giving away. Hardy Geraniums, and hostas. I live in Southern Chester County, PA. between Lancaster and West Chester (the best known places in that area)
:( That's a four and a half hour drive from Kittanning. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@MaryMary , Yep, PA is a big state. I am from Ohio, used to live in Macedonia . Move to PA in 1982. I go back every 2-3 years for a convention in Cleveland. My cousins live near there, Cleveland Heights and then Youngstown, so we meet up for a reunion of sorts. You never know, you might want to come out this way and explore Philly, that is an hour about from me.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was in Philly a long time ago for the 4th of July fireworks! WOW!! I thought Columbus,OH did it up with their "Red, White, and BOOM!" But Philly puts on a helluva show! (y) (y) (y) (Three thumbs up!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
claudine, and Esther Knapicius, I am so glad I opened this thread!! :love: :love: You both have beautiful plants. Now I want one!!

The deeper two-toned purple leaves around the bottom of the plant... are those the older leaves? Do the ones at the top turn that color eventually?

DeborahJane, I'll probably have to order them online as seeds, I've never seen that in a store. How did your seeds do? Any tricks or tips?
Not too experienced with seeds MaryMary, in fact quite a few duds :(so I'm hoping the seeds given to me by an old family friend, which I have scattered around my plinth with a sun dial, will take....holly hocks I think and I'm not sure when they should come up....so I'll be "watching how my garden grows":LOL:. It will be a nice surprise if and when they do:)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@DeborahJane, it's funny how different people have different luck with different things. With the exception of my spring bulbs and one poppy, everything in the flower bed and veggie garden are grown from seed. (Because every other plant I bought has died. :( )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@DeborahJane, it's funny how different people have different luck with different things. With the exception of my spring bulbs and one poppy, everything in the flower bed and veggie garden are grown from seed. (Because every other plant I bought has died. :( )
Goodness gracious, how frustrating:(. Mind you I've have had an awful lot of plastic pots that don't add up to the number of plants in my garden. Don't you need a lot of patience to grow from seed? A seed is so tiny.:rolleyes: I think maybe, just maybe I'm just a tad impatient:confused:. You've reminded me that I did grow poppies a few years ago from seed and they did well. You just sprinkle and forget, at least that is what I did and it worked that time.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@DeborahJane, I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being terribly patient! :ROFLMAO:

I usually plant a variety of seeds in one day. I make a list of what I planted, line by line, and note the date. I look at the seed packet, and by each plant, I write "Days to germinate- X. Start looking - MM/DD." Then I put it on the fridge with a magnet. (Reminds me to water them.;))

With the variety of plants, there is always something to look forward to next.

:) Not too patient - Bachelor buttons said 7-10 days, and they popped up in 3!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@DeborahJane, I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being terribly patient! :ROFLMAO:

I usually plant a variety of seeds in one day. I make a list of what I planted, line by line, and note the date. I look at the seed packet, and by each plant, I write "Days to germinate- X. Start looking - MM/DD." Then I put it on the fridge with a magnet. (Reminds me to water them.;))

With the variety of plants, there is always something to look forward to next.

:) Not too patient - Bachelor buttons said 7-10 days, and they popped up in 3!!
I'll try to take a leaf so to speak out of your book and give it a go. Bachelor buttons are a very sweet little flower.

Ask a Question