Purple Shamrock

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Anyone seen their purple shamrock do this?? It's a leaf coming out of a flower stem. Is this a new bulb and if I cut it will it grow?
IMG_0030.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thanks for the info Esther Is it just a mutation then? Is it common? I've had my purple shamrock for nearly a year now and never seen this before. I got so excited about it haha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
BTW bulbs never drop out of a leaf. Seeds drop out of spent flowers, if it happens with this plant, then it hits the soil and will work its way into the soil, then it will take sometime to become a bulb. (that is an "IF")

Right now my fellow is sitting outside on the deck enjoying the summer.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Actually that'a what I've read about oxalis now that you mention it. Such an intricate way of working! Adore this plant. I hate that it's classed as a weed because of how it takes over an area. You could say the same about creeping Charlie.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Cairenn , depends on the zone you live in. it is good for zone 7, I live in zone 5, so my winters will kill it. Bulb plants do work that way. In fact I just discovered that the sweet herb chives when you get seeds for them, and plant the seeds the seeds in time become bulbs. They are in the Allium family, so others that we know as flowers do the same. Many of our gardeners here will gather snowdrop seed pods to make more and thus bulbs are formed. that is why some spring flowering bulbs multiply all over my lawn, as the seeds spit out wiggling down into the soil and it begins again.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
@Cairenn , depends on the zone you live in. it is good for zone 7, I live in zone 5, so my winters will kill it. Bulb plants do work that way. In fact I just discovered that the sweet herb chives when you get seeds for them, and plant the seeds the seeds in time become bulbs. They are in the Allium family, so others that we know as flowers do the same. Many of our gardeners here will gather snowdrop seed pods to make more and thus bulbs are formed. that is why some spring flowering bulbs multiply all over my lawn, as the seeds spit out wiggling down into the soil and it begins again.

Sorry for the super late reply! I actually live in Dublin, Ireland. So I’m not sure what my zone would be. I was actually watering it the other day and moved some of the leaves to get down too where the bulbs would be and a little tiny leaf and stalk kind of “fell” out of the pot. It had a little orange-ish coloured ball at the end of it. I assume it’s a little new bulb? I originally bought my purple shamrock as three bulbs. I’ll include a picture of the new baby shamrock and the mama shamrock! Also, please tell me whether I should repot the mama, she’s pretty big at this point!

6F592AA1-4BD7-4D28-8BD8-8ADC075D64C2.jpeg

81DA1E99-B07A-442D-A9B4-5CC0F27AB156.jpeg

Ask a Question