Programmes To Watch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have been watching Project Blue Book

The time frame for the series is the 1950's so far it has been interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've just seen a promo for it.

"The Eyebrows Return!"

(they were always immaculate, regardless of the conditions)

"Our Girl" is coming back to BBC 1.

It was an insult to the army and the viewers' intelligence, first time round.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Two TV programmes on Karen Carpenter last night. The first was clips of her most well known songs. It was sad to see how she tried to hide her weight loss by the clothes she wore towards the end of her life. The second one was on the circumstances of her death. Doesn't seem like it's 37 years since she died.
I decided that would be too ghoulish to watch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Birth of the Cool

9.00pm BBC 2 Saturday

A two hour programme on the jazz trumpet player, Miles Davis.

I've been admirer of Miles Davis since my teens, I've several of his albums.

The earliest is from where comes this track. The album was really released by Blue Note to promote the alto saxophone player, Cannonball Adderley, Davis was already the most widely known and recorded jazz musician. I bought the album at the age of nineteen, in Harrods music department, from where I'd ordered it, it was a USA import.
I saw him live twice, once nearly sixty years ago in London and about thirty years ago in Manchester.

Davis was able to move with the times, through various changes in jazz genre. Even to encompassing some pop tunes, with which he could work his magical improvisations. It was, with him, always, "less is more." It was as much about the notes he left out as those he included.
This is from the album, "You're Under Arrest" the title, a reference to him in 1959 being arrested at the height of his fame by a New York cop for "not moving on when told to," when he was standing outside a New York club having a cigarette between sets he was playing. He got beaten over the head by the racist cop, for his troubles.

tumblr_ntlw3gp8RW1ubfpk1o1_540.jpg

This is my favourite tune from my album, he recorded in 1985.
Cyndi Lauper's, "Time After Time."

Listen to the improvisation at 1.42 and at 3.52. "Could bring a tear to your eye."

Throughout his life he made dozens of albums and contributed to ten movies.

He wrote and played the soundtrack of "Lift to the Scaffold," starring Jean Moreau.

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Two TV programmes on Karen Carpenter last night. The first was clips of her most well known songs. It was sad to see how she tried to hide her weight loss by the clothes she wore towards the end of her life. The second one was on the circumstances of her death. Doesn't seem like it's 37 years since she died.
I decided that would be too ghoulish to watch.
Yes I've seen them but thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
"The Hollies Look Through Any Window," a documentary on this pop group on Sky Arts.
I recorded this last night and watched this morning. It's two and a half hours. It will be repeated late on next Saturday night.

Former members interviewed, still retained their "boy next door" images. No pretentiousness.

They had a tremendous number of hits.

Lots of amusing bits. For their big hit. "He Ain't Heavy," they decided they needed someone to play the piano. One of them said "What about little Elton John? We could get him, he's always hanging around the publisher's office,"

So they got him. "I think we paid him £12. If we did it again, he'd probably want more."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
"Rock and Roll Island," now on BBC i-Player

Wasn't impressed with this. Admittedly, my experience as a frequent visitor in my teens with friends and girlfriends to Eel Pie Island was in it's traditional jazz band era. It was all a bit tame, no different to the several jazz clubs in pubs in the London area.

"But what's the point of a documentary if you don't spice it up a bit?"

By the time it went into it's rock and roll age, I'd become a modern jazz fan and my future wife and I were living in a flat in Soho and members of Ronnie Scott's first club. Even Soho in the sixties once the visitors had taken the last tube home of an evening, "wasn't that riotous." She could walk down Old Compton Street on her own at 9.00pm to the launderette in perfect safety, we usually didn't go out until much later. There was "bother" between rival gangs occasionally, but the term, "innocent bystander," wasn't in common use.

If anyone is interested in the "trad era," an amusing read is George Melley's first autobiography. "Owning Up."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
More "Repair Shop."

Today, one of the items repaired was a 1960's kid's bus. (In Glasgow Bus Co. livery)

This brought back memories as our youngest son at the age of two had a simular "Routmaster," as well as a steerable ride on lorry.

I looked back through our library of transparancies.

10.jpg

Between him and his elder brother, they had a few cars too.

This was originally the eldest's. It had sprung suspension. (youngest here in it)

11_28_48.jpg

The eldest progressed from a Noddy Car to the racer, We could have races as we kept the Noddy car ready for his younger brother. I could sit on the back of the racer and pedal it, but it was difficult, he'd drive his old Noddy car and would always win.

The Noddy car got passed down to the youngest, but then he got a sports car of his own, but the racer was still around.

12.jpg

He was getting a bit big for it here, he later swopped it for a bike with a kid up the road.

11_28_58.jpg

Our daughter was never into the pedal cars, naturally she preferred dolls (until she was fourteen) and became a nurse at GOS.

The cars eventually went, once they could ride bikes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of oft repeated programmes on BBC4, I've seen and enjoyed.

This was on the other night and will be on i>Player.

Peggy Guggenheim : Art Addict.

She came from a very rich family of brothers. When her father died on the Titanic, she said, "she was left with very little money."
That term was relative,. as she was actually left with $450,000 in 1913 and the same amount again when her mother died.

She was at the right place at the right time, buying up a lot of modern art cheaply from the artists. many of them Jewish in 1939 for $4,000, when the Germans invaded France,. Those paintings are now worth billions.

Hedy Lamarr. It's on at 1.00 a.m. this morning.

Best described as "a movie beauty with brains."

At the beginning of World War II, Lamarr and composer George Antheil developed a radio guidance system for Allied torpedoes, intended to use frequency-hopping spread spectrum technology to defeat the threat of jamming by the Axis powers. She also helped improve aviation designs for Howard Hughes while they dated during the war. Although the US Navy did not adopt Lamarr and Antheil's invention until 1957 various spread-spectrum techniques are incorporated into Bluetooth technology and are similar to methods used in legacy versions of Wi-Fi. Recognition of the value of their work resulted in the pair being posthumously inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2014

Ask a Question