Old Films Worth Watching

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not a great fan of too many "shoot 'em up" and CGI action films.

A favourite of mine is on Film4 tonight at 7.05 pm. Bruce Willis has a "non-all action" small part as do a few well known actors.

The stars are the kids, it's funny and has some Enid Blyton like moments.

If you've not seen it.

Here's the trailer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd not heard of that film before, but it looks great (y) Although having been released in 2012 does that qualify as an old film...? ;)

Loosely related, Disney are re-making an old film - Mary Poppins. The first sneak peak came out on Sunday:

I'm really excited to see it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I'd not heard of that film before, but it looks great (y) Although having been released in 2012 does that qualify as an old film...? ;)

Loosely related, Disney are re-making an old film - Mary Poppins. The first sneak peak came out on Sunday:

I'm really excited to see it!

I called the thread "Old Films," as it's likely that some may have seen it. Moonrise Kingdom has been shown on TV at least a couple of times before. I recorded it last year on C5 HD in June. As it's now on a SD channel I'll record it again and ditch my encrypted version..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
African Queen, who doesn't love Bogart and Hepburn? My Fair Lady, as a lavish production with a real story line, it's the best. The Music Man, with an all star cast and great music. And Charlie, which will break your heart and uplift you at the same time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've a lot of film noir, "with all the usual suspects," Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Matha Vickers, Allan Ladd, Veronica Lake, Robert Mitchum etc., I've watched them many, many, times.

But I also like more contemporary "feel good films" and rom/coms.

Those I've saved and watched more than once are;

Lone Star (perhaps my favourite) (Sad when Elizabeth Pena died).

The Rebound.

The Proposal

Safe Haven

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
The only movies I really enjoy are one based on history but there is one old movie that I watched several years ago that I got a kick out of. Actually it was the last movie I sat and watched with my mom. We both were a bit scared afterwards. lol

I walked with a zombie, filmed in 1943.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, African Queen is very good. Forgot to say that the songs in The Quiet Man were very catchy and I always felt like bursting into song watching that film.

Johnny: Liking Zombie and you just don't seem to be easy co-habitants!:eek::eek::eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The first time my older sister and I went to the cinema with our mum and we mistakenly went to the wrong showing!! Instead of a child appropriate film ( to this day I still don't know what the film was that we were supposed to have seen:D).....we had to endure The Longest Day!!!!:eek: Don't know about longest day.....definitely was the longest afternoon.......I was only 8 yrs old!!. Never seen it since:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The first time my older sister and I went to the cinema with our mum and we mistakenly went to the wrong showing!! Instead of a child appropriate film ( to this day I still don't know what the film was that we were supposed to have seen:D).....we had to endure The Longest Day!!!!:eek: Don't know about longest day.....definitely was the longest afternoon.......I was only 8 yrs old!!. Never seen it since:)
:eek::LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Upsy, I feel the same about The Longest Yard, a film about football. As I remember, and I've tried to forget, it is about prisoners playing against the jailers team. I felt I'd been sentenced to a long term.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I Love British Films & There's one Called Greenfingers that seem quit aped for you guys ;)

Ask a Question