Privet Hedge; when to trim?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I just planted 20 small privet shrubs to act as a privacy fence/windbreak. When should I start trimming the new growth so they fill out? Is it okay to do it now, or should I wait one or two seasons for it to establish itself first? Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The only experience I've had is with Japanese Privet, so keep that in mind. I would let the plants establish themselves for a season, setting roots, acclimating, etc. Then start to trim for filling out, remembering that you make cuts in the direction that you want the new stem to grow. Privet is very forgiving, so if you make a bad cut, it isn't the end of the world!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The old saw that the best time to prune is when the shears are in your hand is true for common privet hedges. These aggressive growers push out so much growth that when sheared as a formal hedge they may need pruning three to four times over the growing season where they thrive. However, you will find a recommended time of the year to start your hedge-pruning regimen, based on the age of the privet plants.

Late Winter to Early Spring

Young privet need pruning from the start to grow full and for a healthier plant down the road. Pruning them back from 6 to 8 inches from the ground in early spring as new growth begins promotes branching at the base of the plant and encourages root growth to help the new privet shrubs establish themselves in your garden. New growth can be trimmed back by 6 inches every time it grows 1 foot. Stop pruning in late summer to avoid encouraging fall growth that can be damaged by cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That helps a lot. My new plants look like they were pruned a little too heavy at the base before I brough them home. I've been concerned they won't fill out and would look woody at the base. Makes sense to trim them down the first spring. Exactly the info I needed. Thank you!

Ask a Question