Waxy leaf privet Spot question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Some of my new waxy leaf privet have some spots on the leaves. Is this a fungus? My reasoning for thinking it is something else is that it is fed via drip and we live in a very hot climate...with almost no rain.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 431
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Many of the plants here starting to have dark spots on them due to the cold weather, but you're in a hot climate. I hope someone will come along soon to give you an answer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes! It hasn't been cold here yet. If anything it has been quite warm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
You did not say how long ago you put those plants in, my thought is that it looks like it was stressed before you put them in. It is not that unusual, I would trim that part off and just continue regular care. If this starts to happen on the new growth I would be concerned it could be fungus. It's on the edges though so it is hard to be sure. Either way trim it off and make sure there are no scraps on the dirt of left near the plant. Try to mater the plant at the ground level and not over the leaves if possible till it gets stronger. Water when the leaves can dry all the way, it is not good to leave the leaves wet on that plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You did not say how long ago you put those plants in, my thought is that it looks like it was stressed before you put them in. It is not that unusual, I would trim that part off and just continue regular care. If this starts to happen on the new growth I would be concerned it could be fungus. It's on the edges though so it is hard to be sure. Either way trim it off and make sure there are no scraps on the dirt of left near the plant. Try to mater the plant at the ground level and not over the leaves if possible till it gets stronger. Water when the leaves can dry all the way, it is not good to leave the leaves wet on that plant.

Thanks for this! They are only watered with drip and we get minimal rain so the leaves are rarely wet. Thinking of picking up some super thrive today? If I do, can that go on the leaves for that one watering? I'll trim off all the bad areas too and put the trimming in the green waste can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
The new growth is coming in okay, if this is not your regular fertilizing period I am not certain I would do that. I am thinking though, it might be possible it is a bit dry (the soil) although the plant does not like it real wet, if the soil has to much clay you might want to add a bit of peat moss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The new growth is coming in okay, if this is not your regular fertilizing period I am not certain I would do that. I am thinking though, it might be possible it is a bit dry (the soil) although the plant does not like it real wet, if the soil has to much clay you might want to add a bit of peat moss.

I don't have a regular fertilizing period. Everything just went in around Labor Day. The house is new and the backyard was dirt when we bought it. Is there a usually fertilizing time each year or throughout the year? Can you tell I am a total newbie;)? We had a nice yard at our previous house but the gardener did all the care and every bring just flourished. We have a gardener here too but o seem to have a lot more interest this time around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I like to fertilize the bushes in either late fall or early spring so that when the rains come they have nutrients for the growth cycle. Because we get snow up here most of the bushes go dormant, just the same they need care to make sure that the snow does not crush them down. I try to trim back and tie up as much as I can. I do not use burlap or silicone like some of the people in the region does, I was told long ago it does not really help to much.

If you can and have the room, start a small compost pile, then in the spring mix it in the soil near the plants. You do not need to go all out, just a small pile can do wonders, just remember to turn it so it gets the air and can break down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This shrub was not even on my radar until I read this post. After looking into it, I thank you for bringing it to my attention. It apparently makes a good bonsai specimen so now it's added to my list.

Here's an example of a privet bonsai...'tis cute :love:

IMG_4630.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Oh, those brown spots on the leaves of your plants is an eye sore. It looks to me that the spots are caused by a sun burn. When you water a plant that is exposed to the hot sun, the tendency is for the water to boil and burn the leaves in the process. But if you don't water your plant (wetting the leaves) then I guess it may be a parasite. It's really hard to tell by the pictures alone.

Ask a Question