Waxleaf Ligustrum (Japanese Privet) Turning Yellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a hedge of 43 waxleaf plants. Around 6 of those plants all next to each other haven't been doing too well within the past 2 months. Leaves started falling out and turning yellow with brown spots. Branches with no leaves easily break off. Could this be disease or just the 108° heat waves we've been having? What can I do to fix this?

The area of concern
whole hedge.jpg

A sample of a "sick" plant. No brown spots yet.
sick.jpg

A sample of a healthy plant
healthy.jpg
healthy.jpg
whole hedge.jpg
sick.jpg
healthy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
From the looks of the surrounding soil it appears that they need a long deep soaking

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck. I'll deep water them tonight. Surrounding bushes though have the same soil and are fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Don't know where you live, but here on Long Island there is a blight that is attacking boxwoods, and privets. Same symptoms you are describing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
comparison.jpg
I just realized the only affected bushes are the ones in front of (and actually touching) a white wall as can be seen in the first picture. This might explain the sudden browning of the leaves within the past 7 days. However that doesn't explain the foliage thinning within the past 4 months. Here's a comparison of the same plant today and 7 days ago:

Ask a Question