Thicken Hedge (Ligustrum Recurvifolium )

Reaction score
Country
United States
Approximately 4-5 years ago, I planted Ligustrum Recurvifolium along a property line with the intention of cultivating a natural privacy screen. The bushes were planted 6-feet apart on center.

Today, the bushes are well established, standing approximately 6-feet tall and 4-feet wide, the bushes have yet to weave together to form a complete privacy screen. The gap that remains between each bush is approximately 1-2 feet. A few of the bushes are not as wide at the bottom as the top.

In order to get the bushes to weave together, I am considering heading the bushes to a height of 4-5 feet, in additional to shaping the sides so that the profile of the bush is wider at the bottom than the top. Based on the attached picture, is this a good approach or should I leave the bushes as they are and let them grow naturally in order to achieve a full privacy screen?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 491
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Nigel, you are absolutely right with your plans to shorten the hedge and make the top narrower than the bottom. So many people don't understand that air circulation and sunlight are needed at the bottom of a hedge, and a thick and overhanging top blocks both. You obviously do understand!(y)

Ask a Question