100 year old Privet Hedge Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello hope you could please help

My usually healthy 100 year old privet hedge has developed a problem and I’m at a loss. my hedge has been very healthy up to now,

The year before last I cleared out the all the dead leaf matter from below and within the hedge and at that time offered a feed with bone meal and just before the growing season last year I gave a liberal feed with Miracle grow all propose plant feed. !!

The bald patches seem to be where the was remaining leaf matter in the hedge , when you snap the small twigs the is still signs life showing a white centre with a green edge under the bark

We have had a lot of rain recently and i would if that could be the problem !!! or is it over feeding
IMG_3327.JPEG
IMG_3329.JPEG
IMG_3330.JPEG
IMG_3331.JPEG

Any help would be most welcome

KR

Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Is privet prone to fungal infections, something like black spot on roses? If so, a good spraying with a fungicide should stop the problem and let the hedge recover. Two or more sprayings might be needed. The generous amount of rain you've had would contribute to fungal growth, and the remaining leaf matter in the hedge where the problem shows up would retain moisture also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All that I can tell for sure is that the hedge has a fungus. Maybe from the excessive rain, maybe not. I would get a local expert to tell you which fungus. Some fungus may prove fatal and a hedge like that is irreplaceable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is privet prone to fungal infections, something like black spot on roses? If so, a good spraying with a fungicide should stop the problem and let the hedge recover. Two or more sprayings might be needed. The generous amount of rain you've had would contribute to fungal growth, and the remaining leaf matter in the hedge where the problem shows up would retain moisture also.
Many thanks for your kind advice much appreciated thanks king regards Stephen

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With a hedge as regal as that, I would have a professional horticulturalist over to look at it. TODAY!

And welcome to the group. Glad you could join us.
Many thanks for the welcome and your comments much appracted and to save my hedge I will seek profesional help KR Stephen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All that I can tell for sure is that the hedge has a fungus. Maybe from the excessive rain, maybe not. I would get a local expert to tell you which fungus. Some fungus may prove fatal and a hedge like that is irreplaceable.

Thanks Chuck lets hope it can be saved

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I would say too much rain is the culprit. The Escallonia hedge I had in my last garden suffered exactly the same way. It would eventually drop it's leaves and replace with new when the ground dried out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would say too much rain is the culprit. The Escallonia hedge I had in my last garden suffered exactly the same way. It would eventually drop it's leaves and replace with new when the ground dried out.
I so hope so Sheal it's as you can see this hedge is my pride and joy

Thanks for your advice and kind welcome

Kind Regards Stephn

Ask a Question