100 year Old Privet Hedge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello hope you could please help

My usually healthy 100 year old privet hedge has developed a problem and I’m at a loss. my hedge has been very healthy up to now,

The year before last I cleared out the all the dead leaf matter from below and within the hedge and at that time offered a feed with bone meal and just before the growing season last year I gave a liberal feed with Miracle grow all propose plant feed. !!

The bald patches seem to be where the was remaining leaf matter in the hedge , when you snap the small twigs the is still signs life showing a white centre with a green edge under the bark

We have had a lot of rain recently and i would if that could be the problem !!! or is it over feeding
img_3327-jpeg.30273
img_3329-jpeg.30274
img_3330-jpeg.30275
img_3331-jpeg.30276

Any help would be most welcome

KR

Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Stephen. I'd be looking at getting a PH test and also a Nutrient test before any further feeding is done If possible . Don't forget also there maybe some leaf loss this winter due to the cold as Privets are only semi evergreen & do loss there leaves if they are hit by a cold winter. It is in my opinion more difficult deciphering problems with privet in winter as they don't grow & produce leaves when cold. It looks like It is suffering from Wilt which is a fungal problem sometimes found in Privet hedges. But get tests done first then if Treating wilt a high concentration of potassium and a low concentration of nitrogen Feed I believe is best & Spring when it comes Will hopefully be the tuning point for it back to full health. I do hope you save it(y) its lovely

Ask a Question