Sweet 100 3d year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I am not a fan of cherry tomatoes so when a nursery woirker suggest I try the sweet 100's I bought a pair of plants 3 years ago. I found that they got near ping ball size and were great quartered and in a salad. second year I had the same results as the first year.

This year they are a total dissapointment. They are only about the size of jaw breakers we used to buy as kids. To top it off they are splitting so I have to pick them and put on the counter before I can use them so they don't split. They are still sweet and I like the flavor but don't care for the splitting and size.

Next year I will bew planting some thing else than a cherry tomato.

Thought about a plumb tomato but seens they are a sauce tomato like the Romas.

:D Al

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The lousy weather had a lot to do with your problems, too much water causes splitting and wild temperatures cause the small size. Next year could be better :whistle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
We neaver get to much rain in fact June, July most of august were drought months.

We didn't start to catch up with what we were minus till a couple weeks ago. the splitting and small size started before that.

:D Al

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Tomatoes, when they start to ripen, can grow no more.
This means that they require less water than before, and with cherry tomatoes, that can mean halving the water they get.
I'm going to guess that, because you have had drought, you have been watering, and didn't reduce enough.
The only thing I can suggest is one ounce of salt in 3 quarts of water, watered onto the soil around your plants.
This will be enough to induce drought, as plants can't take it up, causing your remaining tomatoes to ripen, hopefully without cracking, but should be little enough that it washes out before next spring.
I have literally hundreds of little "sugar gloss" tomatoes ready for picking before late blight strikes.

Ask a Question