Please LMK what sweet corn to grow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Will someone that has grown several different varieties of sweet corn recommend one for me. I prefer it as sweet as possible but not chewy. I prefer a Synergistic corn variety.

After growing countless varities I finally settled on Inferno. However, I dont know of a company that sells it anymore that I trust.

Please help.

MOD

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Seems like we have been down this road before

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I grew Stowells Evergreen heirloom sweet corn last year and it is chewy so you can probably cross that off your list. It isn't real sweet either. Kind of a plain tasting corn. Boiling it longer helped tender it some but still chewy. I would only grow it again for its heirloom property and maybe cost.

I usually grow Incredible hybrid sweet corn which isn't chewy if you pick it at the right time. It is fairly sweet. I like it.

If you wait too long to harvest they can all become somewhat chewier.

I still have Incredible seed left so that is what I'm planting this year but next year I'll probably try what Meadowlark suggested.

Go to your local CO-OP or farm store and see what they have.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I still have Incredible seed left so that is what I'm planting this year but next year I'll probably try what Meadowlark suggested.

In my experience, hybrid corn seed such as Incredible, has relatively poor germination the second year after purchase and so on. This is certainly true of Honey Select.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In my experience, hybrid corn seed such as Incredible, has relatively poor germination the second year after purchase and so on. This is certainly true of Honey Select.
I keep mine in the freezer. I just looked it was packed for 2021 so I'm a good candidate to see. I'll report back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I grew Stowells Evergreen heirloom sweet corn last year and it is chewy so you can probably cross that off your list. It isn't real sweet either. Kind of a plain tasting corn. Boiling it longer helped tender it some but still chewy. I would only grow it again for its heirloom property and maybe cost.

I usually grow Incredible hybrid sweet corn which isn't chewy if you pick it at the right time. It is fairly sweet. I like it.

If you wait too long to harvest they can all become somewhat chewier.

You should try a Synergistic variety. I have grown SE, and SU varieties Synergistic in my opinion is far superior in taste and texture.

The Inferno looks very similar to the Honey select with its red tassels and red silk hairs and are both Synergistic. Wonder what the difference is.

Pic of the Inferno.

MOD

Attachments

• 20220731_185153.jpg
    20220731_185153.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 3

Ask a Question