Friendly Texas Corn

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Texas, which is known as the Friendly State, even has friendly corn.

R.jpg

After a thunderstorm, the ears open up waving and proclaiming to all they are ready to eat. Now it takes years to train your corn to do this so don't expect it at home.

corn waving.JPG

Sure makes cleaning the corn easy. Practically ready for the pot and/or freezer.

corn 2.JPG

Just kidding mostly the friendly UK folks who maybe have never grown this wonderful veggie. It doesn't wave but it does provide a taste of Heaven!!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
A hybrid variety called Honey Select Triple Sweet is hands down our favorite. Tried G90, Peaches and Cream, Mirau, etc. but none come close to the taste of Honey Select.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A hybrid variety called Honey Select Triple Sweet is hands down our favorite. Tried G90, Peaches and Cream, Mirau, etc. but none come close to the taste of Honey Select.
Honey select is rated number one in the top 10 verities of corn. It's mostly peaches and cream grown here. I don't know why but I guess it grows best in this climate. It's rated number 4. To me it's all good if caramelized over hardwood and drowned in salt, pepper and butter lol.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
There is a reason it is rated #1...it is simply the best available today.
I've only had the stuff imported from Iowa, corn capital of usa. But by the time it gets here I wouldn't call it fresh. Still good though.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
There is only one variety of corn that even approaches Honey Select in flavor and that is the famous Olathe corn grown only on a small pocket of rural Colorado and known for its sugary, fresh taste. Olathe is really good and widely prized but our Honey Select is better, without question.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I grow the Inferno. Its is also a Synergistic like the one you grow. Redish tassels and rrdish silk makes it stand out. Looks nice pretty for corn but taste great. I grow different varities every year but this was the first one I will grow 2 years in a row. Peaches and Cream looks pretty but lacks in sweetness in my opinion. Still great but there are sweeter varities if sweetness is your thing like me

Seeded the Inferno early June. Getting ready to put down some more corn hopefully this weekend. Synergistic corn can not be cross polinated with SU, SE or SH2. Therefore, I got TEMPTRESS. Wish i would have saw this post before I orderd it. Next year I will try your variety.

Thanks for sharing. All my research and i never read about this variety.

MOD

Attachments

• 20220731_185207.jpg
    20220731_185207.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220821_142006.jpg
    20220821_142006.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220821_143834.jpg
    20220821_143834.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Meadowlark is the one who helped me understand corn production. years ago I tried to grow corn and got all these nubs as corn stalks.
tasted good but literally 4 or 5 inches long.

Meadowlark took the time to teach me about setting the soil up in the fall for a better harvest in the spring/summer

since the communication, I can grow enough corn in a small area to get me through at least 3/4 of a year.

cover crops work. work on the soil and all is good.

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to grow a sweet corn called tender treat that was very tasty. It grew very tall, sturdy stalks that were great supports for beans. For some reason, they took it off the market, so I had to find another variety to plant.
Somehow I got a hold of Honey Select, and I've not grown any other variety since. It's hands down the sweetest corn I've ever grown!!

Ask a Question