Ensuring GF is a friendly place to be a member

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a few messages over the past couple of weeks with concerns about how the site has become a little heated and sometimes even unfriendly. This is so sad to hear and not what I imagine any of us want.

I want to make sure that we can get past this and ensure that GF stays a welcoming, friendly community. This will require a bit of effort from everyone, with a little more understanding from some and a little more tolerance from others. If there are members that you really don't want to hear from, you can use the "ignore" feature, by clicking on a username and then selecting the ignore button (this can be managed here). I'm sure in a lot of cases, just ignoring a particular post/thread/member will avoid a lot of aggravation.

Can we please bear this in mind, especially over the coming weeks? It's been a trying 2021 for us all, but I want GF to be a place we can come to escape some of the stresses of the world and discuss a shared passion of gardening.

If you have any concerns or questions, please do send me a private message. If there are any grievances aimed at individuals, please don't use this thread as a place to post it - I want us to move past this where we can (y).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've loved this site since 2016, and can't imagine leaving. The whole world right now is on edge and getting less friendly, but I hope our love of growing things will get us through!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Tjohn. I feel certain that no thought of a member leaving GF, over such a matter. Surely that would be like, cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I've heard about ignoring members on other forums. That led me to ask about this site. I totally agree with you, regarding the world being on a knife edge etc. However as wonderful as the internet can be. It can also be a very dangerous place. Sadly some folk have the idea, that to insult others is OK. I can't see you and you can't see me attitude. Thankfully this doesn't exist on this site.

However, there is the odd occassion, when perhaps a 'newbie' asks a question. Lets be honest. This is where we all started. The reply sad to say, on the rare occassion, may come over a bit snappy and blunt. 'Newbie'.....Ooops, sorry I asked.
Then do we consider the person asking the question. What exactly are they asking. Perhaps a simple, yes or no will do. Personally I at times find it hard NOT to relate, chapter and verse and drag the newbie through the corridors of learning.

Perhaps this may be part and pacel of a member deciding to 'ignore' the comments of another.

Ask a Question