What kind of ant is this? Found a lot indoor. Looking for an Eco-friendly solution, thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
What kind of ant is this? Found a lot indoor. Looking for an Eco-friendly solution, thanks!

Attachments

• photo_2022-01-05_09-24-28.jpg
    photo_2022-01-05_09-24-28.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 38
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't know the name of the ant but the best organic means to kill and repel ants inside is to use Orange Oil. The best inorganic way is boric acid. With OO just mix 2 oz per gallon of water and spray on and where you have seen the ants. OO is also one of the best household cleansers and degreasers there is, plus it smells good.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The ant is distorted and blurry. It looks like its under a water droplet or a layer of plastic or both... Is this the only photograph?

If it is found indoors in California, two likely possibilities are the Argentine Ant (Linepithema humile, formerly Iridomyrmex humilis) and the Odorous Ant (Tapinoma sessile).

I've heard the scent of the Odorous Ant described in various ways (rotten coconut, blue cheese, etc), but to me, the scent is like the sharp, pungent odor of nail polish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
The ant is distorted and blurry. It looks like its under a water droplet or a layer of plastic or both... Is this the only photograph?

If it is found indoors in California, two likely possibilities are the Argentine Ant (Linepithema humile, formerly Iridomyrmex humilis) and the Odorous Ant (Tapinoma sessile).

I've heard the scent of the Odorous Ant described in various ways (rotten coconut, blue cheese, etc), but to me, the scent is like the sharp, pungent odor of nail polish.
Thanks for the info.

I did some research. A lot of people recommend this. Looks like it's pretty safe and effective.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
Reduce or eliminate available food and be consistent about crushing and wiping away any and all ants that you see. When you only see a few ants those are scouts that are looking for food sources (or water if it is very dry). If there is no food found or if the scouts constantly disappear without returning to the nest, the ants will begin to consider your house as both a negative resource sink and poor quality habitat. You may still occasionally find scout ants, but ants in large numbers will be unlikely.

Last edited:

Ask a Question