Corn side shoots

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My corn was planted late so I'm in a race against time to get ripe cobs before the cold sets in. Does pulling off the side shoots lessen the time needed for the main stem to produce cobs?

Attachments

• IMG_3436.JPG
    IMG_3436.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3435.JPG
    IMG_3435.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 4

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
We sometimes call those side shoots "corn tillers". In the "old" days I understand it was common to remove those shoots thinking they detracted from the production of the main plant.

However, research has shown the contrary. The tillers are essentially neutral to slightly positive on corn yields. The act of removing often can cause damage to the main plant resulting in a net negative effect. I never remove them myself.

That's some good-looking corn...what variety is it?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It's a 'super sweet' variety.
Thanks for that comment. I haven't done it before either. This year I'm very close to trying it because this morning the temperature was unnervingly cold.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have fertilized instead of removing the side shoots. Six different sorts of liquid fertilizer available here at present.
  • Diluted molasses. Blackstrap from the fodder store diluted 4:1 then diluted again 50:1 in the watering can.
  • Worm wee (vermifluid, leachate). Diluted already 1:50. Said to be low in pathogens because it has passed through the worm's body.
  • Kelp. Foliar as well as root tonic.
  • 'Rapid Raiser' complete organic pellets. As a homemade liquid fertilizer.
  • Yeast inoculant with sugar and molasses preservative.
  • Lacto-bacillus inoculant with molasses.
The nights and mornings have come in cold (10C). The afternoons are predicted in the mid-thirties this week (90F).

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Honey select is my corn of choice and several others on here grow it...you might try some if seed available.
there.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Honey select is my corn of choice and several others on here grow it...you might try some if seed available.
there.
Noted but I haven't seen it.
Heatwave of sorts coming for the next 7 days. Warm temperatures at night too. It's noticeable that warm nights make a difference to speed of growth.

Ask a Question