Please help my lettuce

Reaction score
Country
United States
My lettuce plants are on their 14th day of growing and are very long and have grown another set of leaves. However, they can't stand up straight and droop into other cells. What am I doing wrong? I'll give some background info about how I'm growing them:
I've planted 72 lettuce seeds in cells using MiracleGro indoor potting mix. They are in front of a window but I also put growth lights above them. I water them when needed (I'm trying not to overwater).

Is there any way to help them or is it too late?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got a picture of them and your grow light? Sounds like they aren't getting enough light.

How much MG are you using?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Screen Shot 2023-10-30 at 9.15.32 PM.png
these are the grow lights i've been using. I usually leave them on for between 8-12 hours a day.
Screen Shot 2023-10-30 at 9.19.29 PM.png
these are what my plants look like.
What is MG?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Lettuces are winter plants and can be put outside to harden up. Try topping the pots with a coir seed raising mix. Carefully lift the plants between your first and second fingers whilst putting the dampened coir around the stems. Press in lightly to bury and support the stems. Then lightly spray with a diluted seaweed liquid fertilizer. This should revive them. Put them outside (facing the sun) each day in the finer weather.
Welcome and good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lettuces are winter plants and can be put outside to harden up. Try topping the pots with a coir seed raising mix. Carefully lift the plants between your first and second fingers whilst putting the dampened coir around the stems. Press in lightly to bury and support the stems. Then lightly spray with a diluted seaweed liquid fertilizer. This should revive them. Put them outside (facing the sun) each day in the finer weather.
Welcome and good luck.
Thank you! Does this one work?
Screen Shot 2023-10-30 at 10.02.53 PM.png

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm in Australia - but it looks alright although I've never seen it before. Put it in the recommended water and let it soak. Then do one plant at a time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I remember someone on this forum with the very same lights and the very same results. Those lights aren't up to the task. You can start by burying them deeper as Redback says so the stalk can stand up on its own and then give them stronger light.

Coconut coir has no nutrients so you have to provide all of the nutrients externally. Your plants are a nice color so looks like you are fine with the fertilizer you are using at this point to me.

MG is Miracle Gro. Seaweed fertilizer is an organic fertilizer whereas MG is inorganic.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Why are you growing 72 lettuces - do you have a market for them? They will all mature at the same time.
Have you heard of microgreen or sprouts? There is a beautiful blog on YouTube called "Her86m2". Look at the 'microgreens and sprouts' episodes. These need no light and deliver high nutritional food indoors. Also, Jerry on "Gardening Australia" does a good summary called "DIY sprouts."

Reaction score
Country
United States
I remember someone on this forum with the very same lights and the very same results. Those lights aren't up to the task. You can start by burying them deeper as Redback says so the stalk can stand up on its own and then give them stronger light.

Coconut coir has no nutrients so you have to provide all of the nutrients externally. Your plants are a nice color so looks like you are fine with the fertilizer you are using at this point to me.

MG is Miracle Gro. Seaweed fertilizer is an organic fertilizer whereas MG is inorganic.
Thanks for the advice! Are they too sensitive to keep outside for a full day?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why are you growing 72 lettuces - do you have a market for them? They will all mature at the same time.
Have you heard of microgreen or sprouts? There is a beautiful blog on YouTube called "Her86m2". Look at the 'microgreens and sprouts' episodes. These need no light and deliver high nutritional food indoors. Also, Jerry on "Gardening Australia" does a good summary called "DIY sprouts."
I'm doing science research at school! I need 36 plants for my study.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice! Are they too sensitive to keep outside for a full day?
No not at all. Put them in full sun if you can. If the temp goes to freezing or below then I'd bring them back in till it warmed back up.

Ask a Question