Please help my lettuce

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is 30-50 degrees Fahrenheit fine?
I just had Romaine, Iceberg A, Blackseeded Simpson lettuce, Spinach, and Flat Dutch cabbage survive a 27F morning. I'm not sure what the lower growth temps are for lettuce but I'd guess 40 or below you should try to move them to warmer temps if possible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Screen Shot 2023-11-15 at 3.46.42 PM.png

Hi! I repotted my lettuce plants and... they're not doing so well. Most can't stand on their own and the leaves are very delicate. I'm using MiracleGro indoor potting soil. They're in a greenhouse outside. Any tips?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
In the left-hand photo, I have transplanted a long, lanky sunflower. Pressing down on the soil to firm it and then adding coir (dampened) and pressing down with fingers I can get the plant to stand up. So, you have to make your lettuces vertical by pressing the soil down and adding damp coir to the top of the potting mix.

Attachments

• IMG_3305.JPG
    IMG_3305.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3306.JPG
    IMG_3306.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 5

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My first thought is the grow light is. not close enough to the seedlings and watering is tamping them down. Here's how you can help them in other ways:
  1. Increase light exposure by moving your grow lights closer, about 2-3 inches above the seedlings, and keep them on for 14-16 hours a day.
  2. Regularly rotate the tray to ensure all plants get equal light.
  3. Thin out overcrowded cells to give remaining plants more room to grow.
  4. Provide gentle support using small stakes to prop up drooping seedlings.
  5. Water consistently but avoid overwatering, as too much moisture can also lead to leggy growth.
Improving these conditions can help your lettuce seedlings grow stronger and more upright. It's definitely worth a try to save them.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Adjust the light distance and duration, ensure good air circulation, and maintain proper watering to help your lettuce plants stand up straight. It's not too late to address these factors and promote healthier growth.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Lettuces are winter plants and can be put outside to harden up. Try topping the pots with a coir seed raising mix. Carefully lift the plants between your first and second fingers whilst putting the dampened coir around the stems. Press in lightly to bury and support the stems. Then lightly spray with a diluted seaweed liquid fertilizer. This should revive them. Put them outside (facing the sun) each day in the finer weather.
Welcome and good luck.
Your lettuce plants are likely experiencing leggy growth due to insufficient light. Adjust the placement of your growth lights to provide more direct light, and consider rotating the seedlings regularly to encourage upright growth. It's not too late to improve their condition.

Ask a Question