Plants/trees you'd love to have, but for some reason can't?

Reaction score
Trellum, thank you ! I'm sure both our houses would be more than gorgeus!:D
Shellyann36, I love wisterias. It must be wonderful to see them everywhere. Don't give up, I'm sure one day your husband will let you plant it in your garden:D

@Trellum and @claudine we do have the wisteria but most of it is out of reach and it does not look as heavenly as in those pictures. It is really a vine and has to be trained into a tree. It spreads like wildfire if left unattended so most people don't like it in their yards unless they are avid gardeners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I must say that wisteria growing wild still sounds pretty good to me:D:p But maybe it's just me, I have a soft spot for unattended gardens and for weeds. I'm the happiest when I'm surrounded by lush plants growing in chaos:D

Reaction score
I am so sorry I mislead you. You can see it growing wild in several places and normally places that are not easy to get to the trees.

There was an area near us out around a farmers field just loaded with wisteria. Wisteria is really a vine but you can train it to be a tree, if left unattended it will take over the trees in the area killing them off eventually. You could smell the wisteria in this field for a least a mile before you got to the trees themselves......... They were cut down so there is no more large batches of wisteria around anymore near me. Every once in a while you will run across trees being trained in the yards but nothing like that was at the edge of the field.

Most men see the wisteria as a weed instead of a plant because it does take over if not watched. I would love to have a Wisteria Lane like in that first picture but it would take alot of work and those vines are very old. My MIL has a wisteria tree in her yard. When it starts to bloom I will take a picture of it. I am still trying to talk hubby into us getting one.... Not gonna hold my breath though.

As far as it being a dirty vine I would say it would be considered one. It does require regular maintenance, which would include any seed gathering from old pods. You just have to make sure it does not take over everything.

Wow, Shelly Ann! I had heard about the Wisteria being a vine before, but I had no idea some people considered it a weed! LOL, it amazes me to learn some people see that beautiful thing as weed, but I understand why! I had no idea this was such a powerful vine capable to kill other trees! It sounds like a lot of work, indeed!

Reaction score
That image is just too beautiful! It makes me want to reconsider my answer :p However, I do have a list of trees I'd like to have in my future garden, and while they're not as pretty as the one in the op, I think I'd rather have fruit trees lol. I hope to (one day) be able to have a section in my backyard (hopefully somewhere near the back of it) where I could plant lemon, tangerine, orange, apple, lime and avocado trees! I think it's so important to be able to grow your own food, even if it comes in tree-form (though it does add some complication) :p but the trees themselves are still not terribly ugly and would make for a great picnic area, if need be lol

Reaction score
Would love to grow a weeping willow tree, but I am unable to at the moment because I do not live quite far south enough for it to grow properly. Definitely going to play some when I get to move closer the ocean down south. Would like to live in the Charleston area at some point.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh wow, those pictures are stunning! Being able to sit and read and work in that kind of space daily would be a dream <3. I have a pretty big list now, considering we live in an apartment so I really have nothing in the way of yard space. My future dream-garden includes quite a few things, but one of my 'most wanted' being cherry blossom trees. We had them growing up and I miss them a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gmckee1985, I love weeping willow trees! They're so beautiful and magical. The best thing about them is that they provide a great hiding place;) I once went on a lovely date in a park with my boyfriend and we found an enormous weeping tree there. It looked like a weird house with green, moving walls:D

Ask a Question