Recommend some plants for me?

Reaction score
Country
us
I live in Charlotte, NC, which I believe is considered Zone 7a and 8B, if that helps. I've attached a picture of my back yard garden. It receives a lot less sun than the front, so full-sun plants are probably not going to work. The soil is pretty lousy, hard red clay with rocks and stones throughout.

I'm looking for much taller, wider plants than pictured to fill in the gaps, but I'm definitely open to little ones, maybe even a small tree. I would prefer the plants to be hardy and very low maintenance. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!!

garden.jpg

A

Advertising

Becky

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
gb
Welcome to the forum @Bahamut11! :) When you say you're looking for tall plants, how tall are we talking? Do you want to still be able to sit inside and see out (so perhaps no taller than the white bar)?

A

Advertising

Reaction score
Country
us
Hey Becky, thanks!! I'd prefer the plants to be no taller than the white bar but it is fine if they go a little higher.

Reaction score
Country
us
Lantana is almost indestructible, and I'd recommend lantana camera, since horrida gets really large. Prairie verbena has lovely purple flowers and again, thrives in adversity.
If you want a small tree, it should be placed where it won't screen your view from the porch. Are you thinking something evergreen, or deciduous? Frankly, I'd just put in a rosemary bush, trim it to keep it in bounds, and enjoy both the fragrance and the culinary use.

Reaction score
Country
us
I have 3 lantana plants in the front, and I agree, very hardy! Concerning the type of tree, whatever lasts and is easy to maintain, but doesn't grow huge. Perhaps a dwarf tree of some kind? We have a ton of crape myrtle's in our neighborhood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
us
Looking at your picture. What I would put at the top of the list to look for is First any plant or shrub that has a fragrance. As your sitting inside or outside, you can enjoy the wafting of smells all year round if you plant accordingly. that would be the only plants I would select. List those type of plants first and review that list for color combinations, with not only flower but leafs and structure of leafs, then heights of them and ease of care.

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
gb
How about an acer palmatum dissectum - a green or a red one? A climber Confederate jasmine, hellebores, variegated hebe, penstemons... phlox, hydrangea...

A

Advertising

Ask a Question