Recommend some plants for me?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Charlotte, NC, which I believe is considered Zone 7a and 8B, if that helps. I've attached a picture of my back yard garden. It receives a lot less sun than the front, so full-sun plants are probably not going to work. The soil is pretty lousy, hard red clay with rocks and stones throughout.

I'm looking for much taller, wider plants than pictured to fill in the gaps, but I'm definitely open to little ones, maybe even a small tree. I would prefer the plants to be hardy and very low maintenance. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!!

garden.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Bahamut11! :) When you say you're looking for tall plants, how tall are we talking? Do you want to still be able to sit inside and see out (so perhaps no taller than the white bar)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Becky, thanks!! I'd prefer the plants to be no taller than the white bar but it is fine if they go a little higher.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Lantana is almost indestructible, and I'd recommend lantana camera, since horrida gets really large. Prairie verbena has lovely purple flowers and again, thrives in adversity.
If you want a small tree, it should be placed where it won't screen your view from the porch. Are you thinking something evergreen, or deciduous? Frankly, I'd just put in a rosemary bush, trim it to keep it in bounds, and enjoy both the fragrance and the culinary use.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 3 lantana plants in the front, and I agree, very hardy! Concerning the type of tree, whatever lasts and is easy to maintain, but doesn't grow huge. Perhaps a dwarf tree of some kind? We have a ton of crape myrtle's in our neighborhood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Looking at your picture. What I would put at the top of the list to look for is First any plant or shrub that has a fragrance. As your sitting inside or outside, you can enjoy the wafting of smells all year round if you plant accordingly. that would be the only plants I would select. List those type of plants first and review that list for color combinations, with not only flower but leafs and structure of leafs, then heights of them and ease of care.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How about an acer palmatum dissectum - a green or a red one? A climber Confederate jasmine, hellebores, variegated hebe, penstemons... phlox, hydrangea...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Not a plant, but a small pond would look great there!

G.W

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not a plant, but a small pond would look great there!
I live in Charlotte, NC, which I believe is considered Zone 7a and 8B, if that helps. I've attached a picture of my back yard garden. It receives a lot less sun than the front, so full-sun plants are probably not going to work. The soil is pretty lousy, hard red clay with rocks and stones throughout.

I'm looking for much taller, wider plants than pictured to fill in the gaps, but I'm definitely open to little ones, maybe even a small tree. I would prefer the plants to be hardy and very low maintenance. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!!
View attachment 48053

Hey BaHATMUT11, Container plants are great, you can move them round as needed. I am a huge container person because I like bursts of color in places that have no soil, like a deck or patio. But many palms would fit your shady spot, Alocasia's would also be nice because it likes lots of sun and can do well with less. Japanese maples provide color and beauty and if in a container can be relocated and pruned to stay small or a smaller variety can be purchased. I do like the previous comment of fragrance greenery too. Lantana is great in NC, I live at the coast so it is very resilient and a pretty ground cover.You could hang from the exterior of you porch a variety of ivy, I like the variegated kind and they winter over very well at the coast, you may need to move them into a garage for winter. When all else fails go to your local Cooperative center and ask lots of questions. They are great at helping out for all your garden and landscaping needs. You have some great arboretums in Charlotte that you could visit and drool over. I learn so much from a local arboretum! Looks like a beautiful back yard! I attached a pic of my back deck. Very large and full sun so everything I place there needs to be able to handle sun. But you are hotter in Charlotte so some full sun plants will probably still do well. Containers just need more love when summer comes. Watering is part of my therapy after a long day at work!

View attachment 48053

Attachments

• IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 222
Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question