Recommendations for attracting pollinators

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got a healthy tomato plant that has a bunch of flowers on it. Unfortunately I'm not getting anything in the line of fruit and I attribute this to lack of pollinators like honeybees or butterflies. Is there a way to attract honeybees to the garden and to my tomato plant?

My peppers look like they're about to flower as well.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I plant oregano, chives, strawberries, clover, sunflowers in my vegetable beds.
I also plant early blooming flowers around the yard.
I get tons of bees on the oregano, I love them buzz pollinators.
Some of my plants, tiger lilies, sun patients, bee balm, black eyed Susan, daisies, queen annes lace, thyme, chives, stargazer lilies, water lilies, iris, to name a few.
I also seeded my yard with white clover and the raised beds with crimson clover.
It's a very busy yard with pollinators.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Fountainman, tomatoes are self-pollinating. Pollen from one flower falls on another and you get a tomato! If you aren't fortunate enough to have our stiff Texas breezes, you can just shake the plant. Peppers, which are in the same family, also self-pollinate. Just shake the plants gently or take pollen with a small paint brush and transfer it to another flower.
I would recommend planting pollinator attracting plants. Even if your tomatoes and peppers don't need them, many other vegetables do, especially squash and beans.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Echinacea purpurea is one the best bets. Then you have knautia, scabious. Anything purple or blue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
A lack of pollinators is not your problem.
Tomatoes have perfect flowers, with everything in them to produce fruit.
If your tomato plant was indoors, I'd suggest tapping the stem/s; as it's outdoors, this is unnecessary.
Peppers are the same, a light breeze will cause self-pollination.
You have another problem, probably temperatures.
What are conditions like where you live?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Weeds and flowers. If that fails, flick the stems each day a few times gently.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I plant oregano, chives, strawberries, clover, sunflowers in my vegetable beds.
I also plant early blooming flowers around the yard.
I get tons of bees on the oregano, I love them buzz pollinators.
Some of my plants, tiger lilies, sun patients, bee balm, black eyed Susan, daisies, queen annes lace, thyme, chives, stargazer lilies, water lilies, iris, to name a few.
I also seeded my yard with white clover and the raised beds with crimson clover.
It's a very busy yard with pollinators.
Got a bunch of Oregano growing. My Water lilies are recovering from a China Mark Moth infestation which was eliminated thanks to BT Thuricide treatment. My irises are thriving but it's past their blooming season. My guess is it's either the wrong season or being in a more urban "city" maybe the bees aren't as common here? I'm not sure. Seem to be attractive other insects.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A lack of pollinators is not your problem.
Tomatoes have perfect flowers, with everything in them to produce fruit.
If your tomato plant was indoors, I'd suggest tapping the stem/s; as it's outdoors, this is unnecessary.
Peppers are the same, a light breeze will cause self-pollination.
You have another problem, probably temperatures.
What are conditions like where you live?
We're hot. I live in the Dallas,Texas area. This time of year 100+° days are full stock. I believe it is the heat. I have one of those Bluetooth based plant monitors that tracks light, soil moisture, temperature and fertilizer content. On a 100 degree day it informs me the temperature is too hot. Lately with the cold front we had I haven't been getting those warnings.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Peppers and chilli some times need a hand I hand pollinate with old electric tooth brush just gentle go from flower to flowers and give them a tickle lol:)

Ask a Question