Patio Plant Recommendation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Please recommend a plant for my patio pot which is capable of holding one medium size hibiscus. I'd like something tropical in nature but all options are on the table. The plant will get full afternoon sun in zone 7, which is hot and very humid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My preference for potting is a Ficus. They are fast growing and can be trained into almost any shape. It will tolerate your sun well and are low maintenance. The only drawback is that they don’t produce flowers like the hibiscus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ficus could work. I don't necessarily require flowers because I'll have plenty of flowers in a bed beside the patio. Any other suggestions? I'd like something that won't grow more than a few feet tall....it can be an annual because I won't try to over-winter it in the garage or house.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Zannia fits the bill. Hibiscus also my favorite.

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How about Coral Nymph Salvia? I have grown this in a pot. It gets about 18" high and 12" around. Butterflies love it!
Coral Nymph Salvia.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How about Coral Nymph Salvia? I have grown this in a pot. It gets about 18" high and 12" around. Butterflies love it!
View attachment 35403

Gosh! It's so pretty. I have the seeds and don't ask me what has happened to them? Most of the stuff I have sown died this year. Must try again.

Ask a Question