Plants/trees you'd love to have, but for some reason can't?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was wondering if any of you have a plant wishlist or something like that. Or if there is a plant/tree you'd love to have but can't for some reason. I do have one, it's a really nice tree known as ''wisteria''. I can't grow a tree like that over here because I don't have a lot space, but if I ever move to a house with a bigger garden I will surely get one :)

Here are some pictures of the wisteria:

Fuji-Garden-Ideas.jpg

1303733663_dsc04529.jpg

Whimsical-Wisteria-Gardens-and-Tunnel-in-Japan-5.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The pictures are more than gorgeous, Trellum, it looks like a dream!:D If I had a tree like this in my garden, I would constantly sit under it, drink white wine and read poetry:D It's just so romantic!
My "dream tree" looks almost the same, it's Jacaranda, I would love to grow it:

Jacarandas-04.jpg

Reaction score
Omg!!! LOL, now I want this one as well! What about a huge garden with both trees? but this would need a lot planning ;) and lots of space...! This tree is really beautiful :) I must add it to my tree wish list ;)

An interesting fact, did you know you can actually grow a wisteria from a cutting? Aparently wisterias are a lot like willow trees, in the sense they're easy to root ;)

Reaction score
Wow I was never aware of how beautiful a Wisteria tree is! Aren't a lot of perfumes scented with that? I'm really into Weeping Willow Trees. When I was a kid, I used to call them, Weeping Willie Trees haha. I don't think I could have one in our yard though since it is so small and our neighbors stink.

Reaction score
Beautiful pictures Trellum and that last pic is truly magnificent, just love the shape. Hope you manage to get your wish and own one, but you're going to need a pretty big garden aren't you :) I love them too, but preferably in someone elses garden, as I used to have one where we used to live, but when a winter storm brought it down, taking half the porch with it, haven't felt the urge to have another one. As you've probably already guessed I did know about the cuttings.:D

Claudine - Your Jacaranda trees are absolutely gorgeous, would love to be able to see that stunning sight in real life. :)
Jacarandas are another of my favorite trees, because of their beautiful shape and are such a wonderful sight when in blossom, that they always make me stop and stare. We have them here, but ours are more like dwarf trees in comparison to the ones in your picture.

I too would love to have a Jacaranda Tree as well, but my most wanted plant is this Strelitzia or Bird of Paradise Flower

Strelitzia67b5.png

Strelitzia004_zps9858eb88.jpg

For the past four to five years every attempt to grow this magnificent plant from seed have failed, being the persevering sort, every year I try different methods, and one day I hope to be lucky enough to have one, I can very proudly call my own. Thats the day I shall be breaking open a bottle of champagne to celebrate :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Trellum those photos of wisteria look absolutely heavenly but couldn't you plant one and keep it smaller? Wisteria are even used for bonsai. Of course you wouldn't get that effect from a smaller tree but I'm sure it would still be beautiful.

My "dream tree" looks almost the same, it's Jacaranda, I would love to grow it:

Jacarandas-04.jpg

I wonder where that photo was taken. It looks like some of the streets I drive through regularly. Jacarandas are beautiful trees but I don't think I'd want one in my garden because cleaning up all those flowers would be an absolute nightmare.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'd also love to have (If my house only had good structures for that) a boston ivy:

0929-s_vine-boston_ivy_climbing_green_60.jpg

A little over the top?

559412529_791.jpg

This is gorgeous:D! Call me obsessed but in my opinion there is no such thing as too much ivy:D The more, the better!
We had had a beautiful ivy covering one of our house walls, but unfortunately my parents decided to get rid of it:mad: I was cryng my eyes out!
As for wisteria, I'll definitely try to get a cutting:)

Reaction score
Wow, really?? I love ivy :) I've never been as lucky as you are... having the walls of your house totally covered with ivy!! I think they give a really nice touch to a house, they look so elegant :) Specially if the wall we are talking about is a brick one. By the way, why did you parents want to get rid of such an amazing thing???

Reaction score
Trellum those photos of wisteria look absolutely heavenly but couldn't you plant one and keep it smaller? Wisteria are even used for bonsai. Of course you wouldn't get that effect from a smaller tree but I'm sure it would still be beautiful.

I wonder where that photo was taken. It looks like some of the streets I drive through regularly. Jacarandas are beautiful trees but I don't think I'd want one in my garden because cleaning up all those flowers would be an absolute nightmare.

Hahaha, yeah, I thought the same about Jacarandas, cleaning all those flowers around the garden... it's a must if you have small children as well :( So I don't think I'll ever have a jacaranda, as for wisteria... I had NO idea they could be used for bonsai... do you think they still get to bloom a little bit? Probably not :( Wisterias look like magical trees... the first time I saw one, I couldn't believe my eyes!!!

If I ever move to a house with a huge garden... I'll surely get a wisteria... and let it grow big :) But for now, no I don't even have space for a small one :( I've so little space, and I don't want to make that poor tree suffer.

Reaction score
If I had a big place with a huge garden, I would want cherry blossom trees.
Right now I'm just an apartment dweller so no sakura trees for me.
ecfdf79d00320afb74de0002783ed0dd.jpg

Reaction score
Beautiful pictures Trellum and that last pic is truly magnificent, just love the shape. Hope you manage to get your wish and own one, but you're going to need a pretty big garden aren't you :) I love them too, but preferably in someone elses garden, as I used to have one where we used to live, but when a winter storm brought it down, taking half the porch with it, haven't felt the urge to have another one. As you've probably already guessed I did know about the cuttings.:D

Claudine - Your Jacaranda trees are absolutely gorgeous, would love to be able to see that stunning sight in real life. :)
Jacarandas are another of my favorite trees, because of their beautiful shape and are such a wonderful sight when in blossom, that they always make me stop and stare. We have them here, but ours are more like dwarf trees in comparison to the ones in your picture.

I too would love to have a Jacaranda Tree as well, but my most wanted plant is this Strelitzia or Bird of Paradise Flower

View attachment 1043

View attachment 1044

For the past four to five years every attempt to grow this magnificent plant from seed have failed, being the persevering sort, every year I try different methods, and one day I hope to be lucky enough to have one, I can very proudly call my own. Thats the day I shall be breaking open a bottle of champagne to celebrate :D

Welcome to the club :( I've had very little success trying to grow a lot things from seed! I think it's a skill I simply don't have, or maybe I've been doing it all wrong! Is there another way to propagate that beautiful plant? By the way, this plant (the flower) is used a lot over here, whenever we buy some flowers for someone, there is always one of those flowers there :) They're really beautiful!

Thanks, sweety :) I also hope I can move to a house with a big garden one day :p So I can finally get a wisteria and let it grow as much as it can. Seeing you have a lot experience with this magnificent tree... is it hard to make them bloom or you don't really need to interfere a lot? I think read a post somewhere talking about a wisteria that wasn't blooming at all. That made me wonder... is it really that hard to make them bloom? I saw a wisteria in real life once, but this one was extremely tall and wasn't such as profuse as the ones in those pictures.

Sorry to hear about your porch coming down! I hope it didn't cost so much to fix it. I hate it when we have to spend on things we weren't planning to :(

Reaction score
If I had a big place with a huge garden, I would want cherry blossom trees.
Right now I'm just an apartment dweller so no sakura trees for me.
ecfdf79d00320afb74de0002783ed0dd.jpg

That tree is really beautiful!!! I definitely love bloomers :D You know what would go great with those trees? A koi fish pond :) I think it'd be perfect! I'm a big fan of japanese culture in general, and I've always dreamed of having a very japanese space for myself :) I'd love having a pond full of koi fish one day, and maybe get a cherry blossom like this one :) My in laws have a pond already, so I think that will help me out a lot (in case I need help with a pond and gardening in general!).

Ask a Question