Planting walnuts in pots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6b
Country
Canada
A little back story. I had leftover walnuts I purchased from a local farm last fall. I decided to grade them by weight with a pocket scale and keep the heaviest and most attractive walnuts for germinating. I sawed the walnuts very slowly with a 12" metal hacksaw blade where the two halves meet without opening the walnut completely as a quick way to allow water inside the walnut and avoid the need for stratification. I did not use a knife nor recommend using one because knives tend to slip and cause injuries. I then soaked them in a stainless steel bowl with distilled water + hydrogen peroxide at a ratio of 8 to 1 for 48 hours and changed both the distilled water and hydrogen peroxide a couple times. The ratio can quickly be calculated by weighing the water and dividing by 8 to get the hydrogen peroxide measurement. I then placed them under washed play sand on their side and have been misting them daily with the same ratio of distilled water + hydrogen peroxide. Germination is 100% success with the 9 heavy walnuts. One of the walnuts weighed 32.5 grams compared to 15-20ish grams of typical walnuts and the size is around 2 by 3 inches. Hopefully the tree will eventually give me the same huge walnuts. The purpose of my thorough procedure has been to prevent mold at all costs because I had an issue with mold growth on germinating walnuts last year and this is because of bad advice on YouTube.

I don't think these walnuts will survive their first cold Canadian winter if I were to plant them in a month because it might be too late for them to put down sufficient roots. So, I'm thinking about placing them in pots and then transplant them next spring. I'm not sure on the pot size and potting material since this is my first time.

I'd like to hear experiences regarding growing (walnut or pecan) trees in pots and then transplanting them. I'm sure there's many ways of doing this but only one way of doing it right and guarantee 100% success. I'm open to hearing anything.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm curious where you found that technique...sawing with hacksaw? And how effective it is?

My technique is less sophisticated and probably less successful. I just gather up the black walnuts I want for seed in the fall, refrigerate them, then plant the following spring. I bypass the sawing and "pot" stage and plant directly in soil.

Here's typical seed harvest:

walnut 3.JPG

Here is a black walnut tree that 43 years ago was started precisely in this manner by me.

walnut 1.JPG

It is now a "specimen" tree that I'm very proud of and is helping reestablish the Black Walnut tree across this area in which it was once native but harvested out for timber. It drops most of its walnuts into a small creek which then carries the seeds all over the county, I hope. My success rate isn't high and survival rates are low in my climate, but it only takes a very few of these beautiful trees to make a huge difference.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My technique is less sophisticated and probably less successful. I just gather up the black walnuts I want for seed in the fall, refrigerate them, then plant the following spring. I bypass the sawing and "pot" stage and plant directly in soil.

That's how I started mine too 20 years ago, maybe longer. But now that they are fully mature the squirrels burry them in the fall and I am constantly killing them (the walnut trees) that sprout everywhere, especially around my apple trees and hedge. So they grow rather easy I would say if planted in the ground in the fall. I don't eat them, I hate the taste of walnuts lol.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I shouldn't say I hate them, I harvest some for cooking but I don't like eating them out of the shell. But I would plant them in the ground during the fall. Nothing is 100% germination rate but that's what I would do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6b
Country
Canada
@Meadowlark I came up with the hacksaw blade method because seeing youtubers trying to cut english walnuts with a knife screamed unsafe. I only use a 12" blade instead of the whole hacksaw because it's safe to hold just the blade in my hand and no risk of slipping and cutting my hand.

Interesting story. That black walnut tree doesn't look healthy though. I've seen a lot of healthy black walnut trees in my area and they're truly majestic trees. However, a lot of them are being killed off by parasitic vines in my area. :cry:

I guess I should have been clear regarding me germinating English walnuts instead of black walnuts. I don't like the taste of black walnuts and it isn't worth the energy to crack them open.

I'm trying to figure out the quickest way to germinate+grow english walnut trees all year around so I can plant as many as possible in my area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tried that and it didn't work for me. Out of 8 walnuts, nothing germinated. The dehusked nuts sat in moist potting mix in the fridge for 5 months then I put in a pot and kept moist. I figured my fridge wasn't cold enough but I'm not sure. I just checked it is 43F. How cold is yours?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I shouldn't say I hate them, I harvest some for cooking but I don't like eating them out of the shell. But I would plant them in the ground during the fall. Nothing is 100% germination rate but that's what I would do.
I kind of feel about these like you do about Johnny Appleseed. I love them and love to see them return to their native habitat. The wood is incredibly valuable.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I kind of feel about these like you do about Johnny Appleseed. I love them and love to see them return to their native habitat. The wood is incredibly valuable.

I love the walnut trees, they are beautiful. But I've no other option then to terminate them growing in places they will never mature or cause harm to my other trees like right beside my apple trees. Same with the butternut trees and chestnuts. Even the apple trees and plums need to be culled here as they randomly pop up. I love having a forest in my back yard but they need room to be healthy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd like to hear experiences regarding growing (walnut or pecan) trees in pots and then transplanting them. I'm sure there's many ways of doing this but only one way of doing it right and guarantee 100% success. I'm open to hearing anything.
Hi, since you wanted to hear anything…. Last fall, I found two English walnut trees at Home Depot. They were on sale, half price. I bought both. They were in about 7 gallon pots and maybe 6 to 8 ft in height. That weekend, I planted them in a very sunny spot. They started to grow well in the Spring, but as the weather started to get hotter, I noticed the leaves were yellowing. I think English Walnut trees need more shade when they are young. I am consistently watering them once a week, probably less than a gallon, yet they are surviving. It’s not too hot here in the PNW. But, the location has Sun from morning to end of day.

So yes, I do believe starting them in a pot is way to go to start them. I read that if you plant walnuts in-ground, mice can eat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Make sure to move them to larger pots fairly quickly, at least if you think they will ever go into the ground. You don't want the roots to grow in circles which will eventually girdle the trunk at ground level. If they are never going into the ground move them up quickly to the largest pot you can and then treat them as extra-large bonsai trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6b
Country
Canada
DSC01158.JPG

An update. 12 days in since starting. The huge 3 inch walnut and another little one are taking their sweet time. The little one is starting to sprout under the sand. One walnut without half its shell started growing white mold and decided to get rid of it. Another rotted even though it expanded. So, I learnt that walnut expanding isn't an indication of successful germination.

The plan is to either place them in 5-gal/19L buckets and drill holes at the bottom since they cost much less than flimsy plastic planters or perhaps plant them in small pots and then outside and hope they survive the cold Canadian winter.

For drainage at the bottom of the pot. Sand or gravel?

Soil I'm planning to use.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...with-mycorrhizae-56-6-l-1591449p.1591449.html

I may be allergic to walnut plants because it seems I developed allergic contact dermatitis on my pinky when I accidently touched a leaf when trying to remove a hair or a mosquito just bit me.

Thank you all for the tips and wisdom. I appreciate it.

Ask a Question