Planting walnuts in pots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm not big on layers in soils/pots. If water can get all the way to the bottom without encountering a layer of "stuff", then it should be okay. So if there is rotted wood that is not a solid"ish" layer then drainage should be okay. Mixed in would be best.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Thoughts @cpp gardener ? In the bottom of a pot I'm assuming.
You asked, "For drainage at the bottom of the pot". What I suggested has been used for thousands of years to grow things. I know from hands on experience that it drains extremely well when used in containers as a bottom layer NOT mixed in. Feel free to reject my suggestion.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You asked, "For drainage at the bottom of the pot". What I suggested has been used for thousands of years to grow things. I know from hands on experience that it drains extremely well when used in containers as a bottom layer NOT mixed in. Feel free to reject my suggestion.

That's how I would do it too. Only problem is if someone doesn't know how to monitor and control the watering needing it could be a problem for them. But so could mixing it in, or any other way of doing it when it comes to watering.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The ratio can quickly be calculated by weighing the water and dividing by 8 to get the hydrogen peroxide measurement. I then placed them under washed play sand on their side and have been misting them daily with the same ratio of distilled water + hydrogen peroxide.

What’s the purpose of hydrogen peroxide? Antifungal?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6b
Country
Canada
I'm not big on layers in soils/pots. If water can get all the way to the bottom without encountering a layer of "stuff", then it should be okay. So if there is rotted wood that is not a solid"ish" layer then drainage should be okay. Mixed in would be best.

I was initially thinking of 3/4" clear gravel at the bottom since it doesn't compact like typical gravel.

I remember when I was living in an apartment as a child and growing plants on the balcony. My parents would place a flat lego piece over the drain hole to prevent too much water from escaping. I may do this instead of adding a layer of drainage. Thoughts?

I'm not rejecting anything. I'd like to hear everyone's input and WHY they do what they do. Then use the best method for my situation.

I can see how well it works however does the wood decompose long term? Does the wood mold at the bottom of a pot? Will I be exposed to mold when the plant needs to be transplanted?

What’s the purpose of hydrogen peroxide? Antifungal?
Improves germination rate when diluted with distilled water and yes, it's antifungal. I still spray it diluted beside plants to improve growth.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hydrogen+peroxide+germination

https://www.hunker.com/12629366/how-does-hydrogen-peroxide-affect-seed-germination

https://www.hunker.com/12593312/the-effects-of-distilled-purified-water-on-the-germination-of-seeds

Reaction score
Country
Canada
In a forest trees die and rot and new trees grow from that. Fungi is a huge part of that natural order. Some fungi isn't good for plants but most is.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've got a compost barrel filled with wood chips. Rotting and completely white with fungi veins. It has little holes for air and I am constantly cutting off trees and stuff growing out of the holes. There is fungi growing inside and around the holes but the plants growing out refuse to die. I'd say that the fungi isn't killing them it's excelling them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6b
Country
Canada
In a forest trees die and rot and new trees grow from that. Fungi is a huge part of that natural order. Some fungi isn't good for plants but most is.
I've got a compost barrel filled with wood chips. Rotting and completely white with fungi veins. It has little holes for air and I am constantly cutting off trees and stuff growing out of the holes. There is fungi growing inside and around the holes but the plants growing out refuse to die. I'd say that the fungi isn't killing them it's excelling them.

Understood. Like mycorrhizae however I don't want to be exposed to excessive mold spores if when I need to transplant the tree into the ground.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Understood. Like mycorrhizae however I don't want to be exposed to excessive mold spores if when I need to transplant the tree into the ground.

I've been planting trees not just in my yards but on hundreds of acers of farmland in my hunting camp/farmers own and I've never seen mold spores kill a tree from planting in rotting wood be it natural forest or anywhere else. Mold in gardens where people continually plant, harvest and plant again year after year with veggies and stuff without rotation yes.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Actually 90% of the time it's blamed on fungi but usually it's over watering or bacterial or insects. Usually all caused by improper care of plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6b
Country
Canada
I've been planting trees not just in my yards but on hundreds of acers of farmland in my hunting camp/farmers own and I've never seen mold spores kill a tree from planting in rotting wood be it natural forest or anywhere else. Mold in gardens where people continually plant, harvest and plant again year after year with veggies and stuff without rotation yes.

I don't want to be exposed to mold spores. The walnut trees can defend themselves against mold with juglone and other self-made antifungal compounds.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't want to be exposed to mold spores. The walnut trees can defend themselves against mold with juglone and other self-made antifungal compounds.
It sounds like you did some scientific reading on YouTube and forums, so you are all set, no need to question or listen to anyone who has been studying science and Botany for decades. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6b
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Country
Canada
What you've said is factual however you've misunderstood who the mold spores are going to affect. Me and not the plants.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/appeal-to-authority-fallacy/

I was referring to the wood chips, rotting wood. I don't really want to read up on it or debate it, I've currently got hundreds of pounds of logs and wood chips composting for my garden and have no problems with what I put in my garden so far. A few slugs and other pests but that's it. There is a reason people pay a fortune for mushroom compost and other compost with mycelium in it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you go to a forest and dig up the black gold around the trees it will be full of mycelium and a forest can grow trees better then you or I ever could.. hence why they are a forest.

Ask a Question