Eggplant transplanting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I bought 2 Black Magic Eggplants and placed them in a raised bed two weeks ago. They have gone downhill slowly since I planted them. I live in zone 7b . At fist I attributed it to planting shock. and thought they would come back. We've had rains (2.75" ) in the last four days. I checked on them and other things in my raised beds today. The leaves look burned around the edges and they each dropped a leaf entirely .Weather here has been 50 degrees in the daytime and dipped to upper 30's at night. They're not going to make it.
What is the suggested planting date for these and other eggplants ? Did I plant too early? Some of my tomatoes, squash and Jalapeños seem to be set back also.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
50 degrees is too cold for eggplants let alone temps in the upper 30's. Eggplant is a heat-loving vegetable that does best in temperatures between 70 and 85 degrees F.

They just won't grow at lower temperatures.

Its been a cool spring here also. It has been a struggle this year to get my favorite hot weather plant, Okra, up and growing....but the weather outlook is improving in another week. Nighttime temps above 60 deg. will really help get things rolling.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got a picture?
What kind of soil is in the bed?
Sounds like they are just getting overwatered which is pushing the nutrients down and out or it waterlogged which chokes the roots from absorbing nutrients. The low temps aren't helping any.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yup gotta be 50f nights minimum and even that is not the greatest. Soil temp is important and raised beds can cool first depending on mass, length of cold snap etc. These plants are foriegners in our gardens for the most part. Your garden may well vary the conditions they expect.

Ask a Question