What is causing the leaves to look like this, diseases, transplanting stress, or improper care?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!
Zone 10a, NorCal.
I got this jasmine from Home Depot a few weeks ago. Placed it in a spot that gets 4-6h (depending on the time of year) of afternoon bright direct sun (2 - 6~8pm). Repotted it after a week of taking it home, using potting mix with fertilizer. Lost the information tag during reporting and no longer remember the exact type of Jasmine it is.
There were a few blooms when I first got it. No more since. The leaves have looked like this the whole time. Plant has not grown.
I know it may a while for the plant to acclimate before growing, but I'm a bit concerned by how unhealthy it looks, particularly the leaves.
My questions are:
1. Is it disease, transplanting stress, or improper care that result in the leaves looking like this? The spots are particularly concerning-looking
2. What is the type of Jasmine this is? How do I best care for it so it vines and blooms?
PXL_20230529_181431729.jpg
PXL_20230529_181436727.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
What you’ve got is a Pink Jasmin, also called White Jasmin or Winter Jasmin.
This doesn’t appear to be caused by transplant shock; if I had to take a guess it would be either overfertilization, or at worst, leaf blight.
Considering that it looked like that when you bought it, I’d say it’s leaf blight, and the leaf drop is from transplanting. Transplant shock goes away, but leaf blight needs to be treated using a copper-based fungicide.
I would give the plant 2-3 weeks (from the time you repotted) to recover from the transplantation before applying any fungicide. After that, follow the directions on the fungicide bottle. Make sure it is a copper fungicide, rather than a general fungicide.
More specifically, make sure it mentions “Copper Oxychloride” in its active ingredients.

Continue to take care to water only when the soil dries about an inch deep, and hopefully your plant will recover and thrive in its new home!

Best of luck to you,
Jaden

Reaction score
Country
United States
What you’ve got is a Pink Jasmin, also called White Jasmin or Winter Jasmin.
This doesn’t appear to be caused by transplant shock; if I had to take a guess it would be either overfertilization, or at worst, leaf blight.
Considering that it looked like that when you bought it, I’d say it’s leaf blight, and the leaf drop is from transplanting. Transplant shock goes away, but leaf blight needs to be treated using a copper-based fungicide.
I would give the plant 2-3 weeks (from the time you repotted) to recover from the transplantation before applying any fungicide. After that, follow the directions on the fungicide bottle. Make sure it is a copper fungicide, rather than a general fungicide.
More specifically, make sure it mentions “Copper Oxychloride” in its active ingredients.

Continue to take care to water only when the soil dries about an inch deep, and hopefully your plant will recover and thrive in its new home!

Best of luck to you,
Jaden
Hi Jaden,
Thanks for the details! I meant to reply but forgot. I took your advice and sprayed it with copper fungicide the day after I saw your response. As added precaution, I moved it to a less sunny spot as well. It's doing great now and is putting out new vines!

Ask a Question