Planting beets at dusk?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How important is it for germination that I plant my beets when it’s cloudy or at dusk? Has anyone planted when it’s sunny and they didn’t germinate?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
In my list of factors on beet seeds planting, I'd say 1) soil temps, 2) soil moisture, 3) soil ph , and 4) nutrient dense soil, are important factors. Planting at dusk doesn't make the list. Temps need to be in the 60s°F (mid-teens Celsius) and the soil needs to be moist, not dry. They prefer a soil pH range of at least 6.0 but not greater than 7.5. They grow best in full sun but tolerate some shade.

I've grown a lot of beets here from seed and never heard of the need to plant at dusk. However, I have had seeds fail to germinate when the above factors are not right, especially temps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO soil temps are the most important factor. As far as planting at dusk or cloudy, how does the seed know the difference since it is covered up with soil? Waxing or waning of the moon I can somewhat fathom. The only time I have had seeds not germinate is when the soil is too cold or long rain events when the seed rotted. I have had problems with what I call weak seeds. The seed germinates but the plant from the very beginning is small and spindly and never makes an edible bulb.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, that’s good to know! I thought maybe it was because if the seeds weren’t exposed to full sun while planting they would germinate better, but since y’all didn’t have that experience, I’m not going to worry about it.

Ask a Question