Help with first time beetroot planting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone! I’m hoping to get some help on my first year planting beetroots.
I never intended to grow them, but after my mother came home one day with dying baby beetroots, I was invested in saving and planting them to harvest. They were standard beets, planted in tiny trays by the grocery stores. I repotted them into a basket plantar that had a plastic bag. I cut holes, but this may be where my first mistake happens. Anyways, the beets were growing slowly but surely, and after a month, the leaves were lovely and large and I actually harvested a beet to thin, as well as taste test. Things were looking up, until over a course of 3 days, the green leaves went drastically from green to yellow. After researching, I figured there were miners at work, dissolving the leaves from inside out. I also noticed yellow, pepper-seed like eggs in my soil. I tried to cut back as many leaves I could to try to restore the problem. However I’m worried and this issue has ignited some questioning. I hope someone can help:

1) will my beetroots be edible, even with miners at work?
2) will they still grow much, with less leaves or should I harvest early?
3) is the soil now completely unusable? Or can I use it for other plants?
4) I was hoping to try planting more beetroots but from seed, what should I avoid doing and will I likely run into the same mistake even if I renew the soil?

Thank you, and I am open to any help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How deep is your pot? Beets do grow a long taproot.

Sun exposure? Overwater?

I direct sow my Beets in the garden and usually have good results. Depending on how many seeds momma Robin finds.
I don't start them indoors nor do I thin the seedlings. I pick as they get to size, mulch around them and water lightly a couple times a week depending on weather.

They do like it cooler for root production, warmer tends to make leaves. They are a fairly durable plant, I've bought roots at the store, placed them in a tray of water and had new greens growing in a few days.

If yours are say thumb sized, I think you could remove the greens and they'll grow back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with beetroot in basket planters is that, because they are so shallow, if you water them enough, you'll sluice out the nutrients.
If your plants are struggling, pests pick up on this.
Is there any way you could transplant the lot, in one go, into something deeper?

Ask a Question