Planting Cutting Flowers

Reaction score
I love my garden and I love flowers. I plant zinnias every year for cutting flowers. I love to cut long stalks of zinnas and turn them into flower arrangements for the house. Do you ever plant flowers specifically for cutting and making floral arrangements? Which is your favorite flower for this?

Reaction score
Shellyann - I'm chuckling to myself as I write this, because quite some time ago now, I did exactly that :D I bought some Alstromerias and some Freesias for the sole purpose of doing just that, having them as cut flowers.
I planted some in the areas that I frequently sit ,so that I could not only enjoy their scent but also have the pleasure of looking at them, as well as some in various places around the garden, but to this day, even though I've split these plants many times and now have very large clumps of them and at times very large quantities of both Alstromerias and Freesias, have not as yet, ever managed to bring myself to actually cut them off the plants, because they always look so beautiful as they are - attached to the plant :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't do this. I grow my miniature roses because I love them and I love taking care of them:) But I'm always very happy when they produce flowers. I cut them and I put them in little vases everywhere in my room. They make a perfect decoration:D

Reaction score
Shellyann - I'm chuckling to myself as I write this, because quite some time ago now, I did exactly that :D I bought some Alstromerias and some Freesias for the sole purpose of doing just that, having them as cut flowers.
I planted some in the areas that I frequently sit ,so that I could not only enjoy their scent but also have the pleasure of looking at them, as well as some in various places around the garden, but to this day, even though I've split these plants many times and now have very large clumps of them and at times very large quantities of both Alstromerias and Freesias, have not as yet, ever managed to bring myself to actually cut them off the plants, because they always look so beautiful as they are - attached to the plant :D

LOL @gata montes I can relate on some levels of that way of thinking. They are very pretty in their natural habitat. I think one thing that helps me is that I will plant a row directly into my garden. It is pretty but it is just a standard row of flowers amongst the veggies. I treat it just like any other plant and cut it as I see fit. I do plant some around in the yard and such as well and I never really cut them but the garden row is especially for cutting. :D

I don't do this. I grow my miniature roses because I love them and I love taking care of them:) But I'm always very happy when they produce flowers. I cut them and I put them in little vases everywhere in my room. They make a perfect decoration:D

Oh yes and we have seen several of your beauties brightening up the vases you have. I wish I had better luck with miniature roses.

Reaction score
LOL @gata montes I can relate on some levels of that way of thinking. They are very pretty in their natural habitat. I think one thing that helps me is that I will plant a row directly into my garden. It is pretty but it is just a standard row of flowers amongst the veggies. I treat it just like any other plant and cut it as I see fit. I do plant some around in the yard and such as well and I never really cut them but the garden row is especially for cutting.

Now that really is a good idea :) and something that I hadn't thought of, so thank you, and I think it may well work - especially as I've never been very keen on having flowers in my vegetable garden, and would therefore be keen to cut them :D so its definitely worth a try, so long as I can find a space for them, failing that, the only other option is to plant them in an area, that I very rarely frequent, however that may also prove to be a problem, due to the fact, that I would probably not see when they were ready for cutting or maybe - even forget that they were there :D

Reaction score
I love my garden and I love flowers. I plant zinnias every year for cutting flowers. I love to cut long stalks of zinnas and turn them into flower arrangements for the house. Do you ever plant flowers specifically for cutting and making floral arrangements? Which is your favorite flower for this?

No, but I might do that in the near future, when I move to the Netherlands :) I'd love to cultivate tulips, so I can turn them into beautiful flower arrangements! That will be done once I have enough spare time :) I might try it with other flowers too, with enough time and cash... is always easy to dare and try to be a bit more creative, isn't it? ;)

Reaction score
Now that really is a good idea :) and something that I hadn't thought of, so thank you, and I think it may well work - especially as I've never been very keen on having flowers in my vegetable garden, and would therefore be keen to cut them :D so its definitely worth a try, so long as I can find a space for them, failing that, the only other option is to plant them in an area, that I very rarely frequent, however that may also prove to be a problem, due to the fact, that I would probably not see when they were ready for cutting or maybe - even forget that they were there :D

Haha Glad I could give you some ideas! It works well for me. Does not take away from my regular flower areas and I still get my cuttings for the house.

No, but I might do that in the near future, when I move to the Netherlands :) I'd love to cultivate tulips, so I can turn them into beautiful flower arrangements! That will be done once I have enough spare time :) I might try it with other flowers too, with enough time and cash... is always easy to dare and try to be a bit more creative, isn't it? ;)

Oh Trellum I do so love tulips. I wish I could plant hundreds of every color around my home!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I cut my rose bush for flowers in the house. True not often because they look so pretty on the bush. When the blooms have matured I cut the flowers, allow them to dry to mix them into my pourrie mix. I do like the idea of plant some plants just for cuttings and allowing the others to continue to bloom so that the outside area is still full of color.

Reaction score
Oh Trellum I do so love tulips. I wish I could plant hundreds of every color around my home!

You should see all the amazing varieties they have in Holland! I plan to have my very own ''collection'' of tulips once I get there :) I'm intrigued by the ones in this amazing colour:

Queen-Nighttulip.jpg

Tulip_Queen_of_the_night__05539.1345242133.1280.1280.png

Those are black tulips :) Way more beautiful in person, believe me! I'd love a garden with some of those, and some white ones.

Reaction score
@Trellum I use to receive a Dutch Holland or Holland Dutch tulip bulb book that had all sorts of different tulips for sale in it. Oh how I loved the pretty purple/voilet ones! I wanted a slew of them and the purple ones for around my home. I never got any of them because I was always broke back then. Oh how I dream that one day I will fill my yard with them! I think the black ones are very stately. They have that iridescent look to them almost as if they are about to change colors.

Reaction score
@Shellyann36 I agree with you! I hadn't thought about the dark purple ones... both black and purple are my favorite colours! So purple tulips sound like heaven to me :) I hope your dream can come true soon! I'd love to fill my future garden with the black ones :love: Similar dreams, similar colours :)

Reaction score
Oh My. I planted a bed of Zinias one year. I waited for them to grow, and nothing came out of them. I had this Idea that I could have fresh flowers that year. I ended up with a bunch of green stalks, and no flowers.

I was successful at growing roses, I left them alone, and just realized that a blooming flower for me to admire was good enough for me.

Reaction score
@Shellyann36 I agree with you! I hadn't thought about the dark purple ones... both black and purple are my favorite colours! So purple tulips sound like heaven to me :) I hope your dream can come true soon! I'd love to fill my future garden with the black ones :love: Similar dreams, similar colours :)

Haha yep those dark purple ones or even the lighter hues are perfect for me. Throw in some pink and it will be just fine! I just love them all. I would love to plant lots of those bulbs with Easter Lilies and crocus! LOL now I am dreaming flowers this morning. I think its too late to plant bulbs though. I need to check into that.

Reaction score
Those tulips are so pretty! Can you imagine seeing a huge field of them? It would be stunning!

No, I do not cut my flowers. I do not like to have flower arrangements in my house, only houseplants. I just hate to see them wither! I envy those who have such lovely arrangements in their home, though.

Ask a Question