Planting from cuttings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I remember the first cutting that I planted was the moringa. It is one of the popular vegetables here that is native to tropical countries. I was amazed when the cutting sprouted new leaves after some weeks on the ground. And within that year, it also bore some flowers that later on turned into fruits. The leaves of the moringa is a healthy addition to soup dishes while the fruit is like beans that is also cooked as vegetable.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
That is interesting and I have never heard of this! how fantastic it would be if we could use the leaves and the fruit to cook with on each plant that we grow!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The only plant I've grown from cuttings was Lavender. I didn't do anything special with it, just cut 5 pieces off, stuck them in the ground, watered them, and all 5 became plants. It was pretty amazing!

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I have recently tried to grow an orchid from a cutting and I am not too sure if this is going to work but I am sure enough going to find out if it does soon I hope! our tropical climate is fantastic for orchids and I love them so much

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The first cutting that I planted was a red miniature rose, the one my boyfriend gave me. It sprouted new leaves quite quickly. Now, it's a lovely rose:)

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have planted desmodium cuttings in the past. This is a runner that fixes nitrogen in the soil. It is used as fodder for livestock. Desmodium can be intercropped with napier grass and enriches the soil. It can withstand prolonged periods of water stress.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
i have about a doz. types of berry bushes i planted last year. i plan on taking cuttings and propagate new plants from them. going to plant a bunch on a friends land and pot some to sell locally. all of these berry plants are considered superfoods!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
My first plant cutting is basil. I never thought it'll be that fast. I just put the cutting in a small mug with water and roots started to grow a few days later :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Mother knew a minister's wife who would take cuttings from various rosebushes and place them in jars of water. Some of the cuttings grew into rosebushes. However, some did not.

Ask a Question