Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I work solo
Well, I am all the way in the USA, and I was joking. But, my dream would be to find ONE person who knows what to do with my vast garden that I can just look the other way. Meanwhile, today is chilly, later back outside to continue the never ending.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I must say, overall, I'm not a fan of topiary and hedging, though exceptional pieces can be amusing works of art and whimsy.
That sphere in the first shot is admittedly quite striking, at least immediately after it is sheared, though I'd like it better if it was contrasted by a surrounding landscape of complexly natural growth.

It is on the larger scale that topiary and hedging really become oppressive. Such landscapes are not only high-maintenance and expensive, but they lead only to dull, simplistic displays dominated by simple geometric shapes.
Often the end result looks like an endless array of green fuzzy refrigerators, pillar boxes, countertops, traffic cones, and dustbins.

It might be good to have a thread that debates the pros and cons of shearing.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Thank you for the answer, yes, I myself live in Germany and watch a lot of videos on the topic of landscape design and its care in America, of course, it is very different, you have more minimalism, a large lawn and a couple of bushes, on the contrary, we like to plant a bunch of bushes and hedges, which sometimes reflects poorly on the overall appearance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Thank you for the answer, yes, I myself live in Germany and watch a lot of videos on the topic of landscape design and its care in America, of course, it is very different, you have more minimalism, a large lawn and a couple of bushes, on the contrary, we like to plant a bunch of bushes and hedges, which sometimes reflects poorly on the overall appearance.
Guess you have not seen my garden, so opposite of minimalism. Why I would love a "garden crew" every now and then. Just saying, the count of just my bulbs in ground is over 400 Thousand, then there is 13 species of hydrangeas, I can go on. And I am still toying with more possible tilling for more areas to plant unique trees.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Guess you have not seen my garden, so opposite of minimalism. Why I would love a "garden crew" every now and then. Just saying, the count of just my bulbs in ground is over 400 Thousand, then there is 13 species of hydrangeas, I can go on. And I am still toying with more possible tilling for more areas to plant unique trees.
well, of course it's a big garden that requires a lot of attention, when do you still have time to do the garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
well, of course it's a big garden that requires a lot of attention, when do you still have time to do the garden?
when I worked full-time away from home, I did garden work some evenings, depending on light, and weekends. Now, retired I can work at it any time. Right now the focus is leaf removal. Been raining off and on, so next dry spell I'll be doing that. Other than that some pruning can be done. I usually tell myself, so many hours a day garden, then time to go do house stuff, or food shop etc.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
when I worked full-time away from home, I did garden work some evenings, depending on light, and weekends. Now, retired I can work at it any time. Right now the focus is leaf removal. Been raining off and on, so next dry spell I'll be doing that. Other than that some pruning can be done. I usually tell myself, so many hours a day garden, then time to go do house stuff, or food shop etc.
yes, it's good, when the hedge cutting season starts for me, it's the end of July, then sometimes I just don't have time to mow my lawn.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question