Germany
20180216_131752.jpg
20180216_131759.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
yes, it's good, when the hedge cutting season starts for me, it's the end of July, then sometimes I just don't have time to mow my lawn.
My property is considered wooded, thus lots of very tall trees, 150 feet tall, we had 6 taken down about 6 summers ago. Grass in a shaded situation grows slowly, even grass made for shade. The first job before cutting grass is taking the wheel barrel about and getting fallen branches, twigs, sometime a good limb after a storm. I may come away with 4 trips to the burn pile before I can start the ridding mower. Don't have the typical hedges, but have many blooming shrubs that take turns through the year. So I am pruning each when they are done in a round about fashion . If you wish you can see my gardens on a You Tube Channel under Estherredstar channel.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
My property is considered wooded, thus lots of very tall trees, 150 feet tall, we had 6 taken down about 6 summers ago. Grass in a shaded situation grows slowly, even grass made for shade. The first job before cutting grass is taking the wheel barrel about and getting fallen branches, twigs, sometime a good limb after a storm. I may come away with 4 trips to the burn pile before I can start the ridding mower. Don't have the typical hedges, but have many blooming shrubs that take turns through the year. So I am pruning each when they are done in a round about fashion . If you wish you can see my gardens on a You Tube Channel under Estherredstar channel.
thank you, yes, you have a really big garden, it really requires a lot of attention, I saw a lot of snow in one video in winter, too, I myself lived in Siberia in Russia before moving to Germany, and frankly I don't miss the snow at all :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
thank you, yes, you have a really big garden, it really requires a lot of attention, I saw a lot of snow in one video in winter, too, I myself lived in Siberia in Russia before moving to Germany, and frankly I don't miss the snow at all :)
we usually have two really nice snow falls. its all about preparing for snow. Enough food and wine in the house. We now also have a whole house generator incase a storm blows out the electric. Make sure cars all have full gas tanks. And just hunker down and enjoy a good book. Or in my case trying to find things to get rid of in my house. too much stuff. LOL. I do like a good snow fall, makes things so quiet.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
we usually have two really nice snow falls. its all about preparing for snow. Enough food and wine in the house. We now also have a whole house generator incase a storm blows out the electric. Make sure cars all have full gas tanks. And just hunker down and enjoy a good book. Or in my case trying to find things to get rid of in my house. too much stuff. LOL. I do like a good snow fall, makes things so quiet.
well, of course it's very cool when there is a really good snowfall, I also like this, but where I lived in Siberia there from January to the end of February the temperature reached -50 degrees Celsius

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
well, of course it's very cool when there is a really good snowfall, I also like this, but where I lived in Siberia there from January to the end of February the temperature reached -50 degrees Celsius
yes, have seen pictures of Siberia and its lengthy snow, certainly a place for hardy souls. The coldest I have lived through was 15 below zero Fahrenheit when I lived in Ohio on my fathers farm. It does get very cold there. It will begin to snow November and never go away until about mid March. Those were the days feeding the farm animals, tossing the feed on my shoulders from the truck to the barn though snow etc. We had 45 acres. Dad and mom passed on years ago, some of the property was divided out. The original farm house still stands on 5 acres, sold long ago.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
yes, have seen pictures of Siberia and its lengthy snow, certainly a place for hardy souls. The coldest I have lived through was 15 below zero Fahrenheit when I lived in Ohio on my fathers farm. It does get very cold there. It will begin to snow November and never go away until about mid March. Those were the days feeding the farm animals, tossing the feed on my shoulders from the truck to the barn though snow etc. We had 45 acres. Dad and mom passed on years ago, some of the property was divided out. The original farm house still stands on 5 acres, sold long ago.
Yes, there are beautiful places in your country too

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have one of those in our shed.
Do the world a favour, take it out of the shed and use it instead of burning. The product makes a great mulch which will improve your soil over time, and although it will eventually break down and release CO2 it will take a lot longer and will be a lot cleaner without all those smoke particulates. I guess where you live is not densely inhabited, but the world is a finite place, and the effects of global warming in terms of tornadoes and floods are already making themselves felt.
I have just been reading a book called 'How bad are bananas? The carbon footprint of everything' by Mike Berners-Lee (Tim's brother). Not just informative, amusing and well written as well, though not the sort of book you sit down and read in one go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Do the world a favour, take it out of the shed and use it instead of burning. The product makes a great mulch which will improve your soil over time, and although it will eventually break down and release CO2 it will take a lot longer and will be a lot cleaner without all those smoke particulates. I guess where you live is not densely inhabited, but the world is a finite place, and the effects of global warming in terms of tornadoes and floods are already making themselves felt.
I have just been reading a book called 'How bad are bananas? The carbon footprint of everything' by Mike Berners-Lee (Tim's brother). Not just informative, amusing and well written as well, though not the sort of book you sit down and read in one go.
we already have two mounds of wood chip mulch, each mound can fit into an 8 X10 foot room. So have enough wood chips. and we have not had enough time to lay all that chips down yet. Onward to the burning pile.

Ask a Question