Peppers, peppers, and more peppers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted some purchased pepper plants this past Saturday during a warm spell. I have read that you should cover pepper plants at night if it is going to get below 60. We have some nights forecast this week to be in the 50s and down to 45. I will cover them; my questions is materials. I have some large mason jars that would fit over them. I also have some clear plastic soda bottles I can put over them. Any advice?
Both will work fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
I only grow sweet peppers. Love Giant Marconi Hybrid (red) on the left - 9 inches long. And am trying Etuida (orange) this year too -photo from the seed company etiuda.jpg .
Marconi Peppers on my table.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I only grow sweet peppers. Love Giant Marconi Hybrid (red) on the left - 9 inches long. And am trying Etuida (orange) this year too -photo from the seed company View attachment 5271 . View attachment 5269
I am growing the Giant Marconi's this year and they are already ahead of Bananas, Cubanellas and Acanoncaquas. What can I expect as far as production goes? Do they need higher fertilization because of their size? Mine are blooming and have set 4 peppers, each about 1/2 inch long now and the plant is about 1 foot tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
I am growing the Giant Marconi's this year and they are already ahead of Bananas, Cubanellas and Acanoncaquas. What can I expect as far as production goes? Do they need higher fertilization because of their size? Mine are blooming and have set 4 peppers, each about 1/2 inch long now and the plant is about 1 foot tall.
I grew my Marconi's in containers (5 gallon and larger) on a hot sunny cement patio, so had to check them for water every day. I fertilized them with "bloom booster" fertilizer every two weeks. I also had one petunia in each pot, along with either the pepper and eggplant. I alternated pots of each vegetable. When the petunias began to get yellow leaves I also watered with an epsom salt solution. I may have gotten about 15 peppers per plant. I picked them at about 1/3 ripeness and let them ripen on my table not on the plant, so the plants never thought they were done fruiting☺ They just kept popping out new fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I grew my Marconi's in containers (5 gallon and larger) on a hot sunny cement patio, so had to check them for water every day. I fertilized them with "bloom booster" fertilizer every two weeks. I also had one petunia in each pot, along with either the pepper and eggplant. I alternated pots of each vegetable. When the petunias began to get yellow leaves I also watered with an epsom salt solution. I may have gotten about 15 peppers per plant. I picked them at about 1/3 ripeness and let them ripen on my table not on the plant, so the plants never thought they were done fruiting☺ They just kept popping out new fruit.
Thanks. This gives me a good idea of how these things will grow

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Once again, I'll be growing Chenzos.
They have the heat level I like, a delicious fruitiness when ripe, are compact and decorative plants, and I get literally hundreds of fruit over a few months.
They are very popular with my wife's community nursing team, and I give them one plant each, nicely potted up, to each of them as a little, personal thank you.
For sweet peppers, I have discovered an Eastern European variety (Trapez) which I'm trying.
It's the first open-pollinated variety I've found, which I think might make it in a Cheshire summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The original carolina reaper HP22B,from puckerbutts or pepperjoes are really to hot to eat,it's the hottest in the world.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Stressing plants (and not just chillis) can be a useful tool.
It encourages them to fruit earlier, which can be important if you have a short growing season and many of the growers I know, and I include myself, stress their tomato plants slightly when they're young, as they believe it causes them to seek water, leading to a stronger root system and a hardier plant, when it reaches maturity.

Ask a Question